Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I checked my first hive today. The one in the back yard and they were dead. Still had honey. Meg and I think that the sub-zero temps over the last 3 to 4 weeks killed them.
Has anyone else lost hives this winter?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I didn't lose any. One of mine died early in the fall though. Reason unknown. Could have been SHB.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I know where all of my hives are. Haven't lost any. 15% of them are empty of bees though. :) Lowest Winter loss in memory.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yes, lost 3 of 5. The first 2 I suspected would not make it. The last one was a bit more painful; the bees were right next to the mountain camp sugar, but did not seem to realize where they were. They were alive as of 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Did you do anything different than normal, Mark?
Probably. But I'm not sure what. laugh laugh

I treated last Spring with Apivar strips and them used MAQS late Summer and the rest of the Apivar strip that I had leftover. They don't get better with age. lol

I made a lot of splits last Spring, so I had quite a few new queens. I also had heavy hives going into the Winter. I ran hives short so the top brood box got honey stored in it before honey supers were filled. Didn't get a big crop of extracted honey, but have enough.

It was 80 degrees here in SC today and the bees ignored the spilled syrup, so I figure there was at least some nectar coming in part of the day. Until the bees started getting nasty this afternoon. I hope they get heavy before going to the blueberries in two weeks. So I don't have to feed them while they are there.

I had some nucs which I made up in SC which didn't really start growing until I got them back to NY late in May. I kept them growing through Summer. Then I kept most of the honey I made in medium depth supers to set on these nucs which I put into single deeps.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
I lost just short of 25%. The vast majority of the losses were in the isolated yard where I have been pursuing treatment free. I am beginning to think that is live stock abuse. Congratulations to those managing it but I am about to give it up. The treated half wintered stronger colonies and minimal winter loss.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I trekked through mid thigh wet snow 2 days ago to check my main apiary, It was a bright sunny day with temperatures in the 50s. Several hives had bees flying. one by one I went down the line, Hive after hive I could hear the buzz of bees inside, all were buzzing I got to a single hive all alone in a new row I started last season but could not hear the buzzing, so I placed my ear to the hive and tapped on it, still no buzz. I thought to myself one out of 46 ain't bad! I then removed the block I had atop the cover and lifted it. the bees came out by the dozens. so I quickly closed it up. all the hives in that yard made it. But I am not thumbing my suspenders yet. I have just over 50 more hives about 1 hour north in lake effect snow country. I can't even get to them yet. maybe another week or so before I can. but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seven out of seven strong.....still a tad early in these mountains and the weather all over the board. They are wrapped in heavy tar paper - have an entrance on top shim where I've had nutritional sugar blocks...they look VERY happy, I am thankful!!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
lost 1 of 6. I have a 5 over 5 nuc that looks very strong and one of the full size hives has a small cluster. this hive has a queen that will be 3 yrs. old this spring so starting her 4th season. hopefully all that are alive now will make it, although i won't be surprised if the 1 weak hive doesn't

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just one, a nuc. They had plenty of stores, but it looked like they just couldn't move to the stores.

I only had three hives and a nuc, so it's a bummer, but the hives...wowsa...opened them for a minute today to assess stores for the final weeks of winter, and they look terrific. Very strong.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Lost 2 out of 35. One was mites the other was starvation.

Don't assume bees died of the cold. Very unusual that was the single cause. More likely mite counts were high and the cluster got smaller and smaller. End result is they cannot generate enough heat.

What killed them? Cold or mites? Mites!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I lost 1 of 14. The cluster got too small to survive the cold in the one that failed. It was a split from last year that battled queen problems most of the summer. It finally got queenright August 1. My guess is there weren't enough young bees. The other 13 are in really good shape.

The great thing is they will have two weeks of good flying weather while maples are blooming. That should really give them all a nice boost. I've never had that happen before.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Checked 180 this week. Nice clusters. Most still heavy enough. Lost 8 with another 4 weak, which I consider lost. Fed about 10 with fondant.

Losses were from: 4 starved, 2 drone layers, and 2 from varroa/virus.
How was your winter compared to average up there, Michael?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
jw, I'm about 120 miles due West of Michael and we had more snow and lower temps than usual for much of the Winter. February's average temperature was in the single digits. Michael's may have been similar. Though there is a large lake in between us.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Our average was 11 in February I believe. Lows dipped to just shy of - 20F a few times too. Then suddenly the spring flood gates open and we have been above 50 for the last few days. 60s for the next few.

Was just curious. You both certainly get more snow than us.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts