Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked into a hive yesterday to get brood and honey for a trap out. Found several capped queen cells and several fixing to be capped. The hive is roaring and is two deep and filling with nectar and no space left for eggs.
Took five frames and move them with a capped queen cell and put them in a hive body - it is now about five feet away from the parent hive.

Took a frame of brood and a frome of honey and put it in the hive body for the trap out. We also put one of the capped queen cells in it.

All the other queen cells we destroyed.

What sould we have done differently . I am guessing the parent hive will swarm anyway and will put up a swarm trap. The parent hive has a super on it and they are starting to move into it - looked like they are cleaning it to start pulling wax.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think you did OK. Make sure the new hive has enough bees when the field bees go back home.

I read an article not long ago that made a light come on for me. There are two modes of action when it comes to swarms. Swarm prevention and Swarm control.

Swarm prevention, like fire prevention, are actions taken to prevent a situation. Sometimes those actions work, sometimes they don't.

Swarm control, like fire control, are actions taken to prevent further loss. I would say this is where you are at this point.

When a hive commits to swarming you are hard pressed to change its "mind". I would say you will have to stay on them for the rest of the year to control a swarm issuing. If you go in every 10 days and cut swarm cells out then they will not be able to swarm on you; some folks don't like to do this because if you cut out a swarm cell after the hive has swarmed, IE you did not find the queen before cutting, you kinda hose yourself into being queenless. That is at least one reason this is not suggested, I'm sure someone else can give you better advice on this issue.

This does not exactly fit your situation but the concept might help you decide what your next move should be: scroll down to "A cut down split". at this link.

But what do I know, as you can see below I'm still wet behind the ears!!;)

Did you put foundation or drawn comb back where you took the frames from? I am not sure what difference it would make but I am interested to know.

RKR

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put foundation mostly because that is all i had and I thik it will also give them more room.

·
Registered
429 Posts
another possibility is a forced swarm....
by this I mean to simulate a swarm situation.
By removing the brood, and nursebees, and relocating the queen and field force, you are basicly making the hive think it has swarmed. put a frame of capped brood into the hive with the queen, and give them supers for honey, with no nurse, and brood to take care of, they will go to putting up honey. just make sure they have queen ells when you do it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
no need to destroy the rest of queen cells..after you remove 2-3 frames of brood and bees and put in empty frames the bees 95% of time will tear out remaining cells

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I would have taken at least a full deep to do the split, or split multiple ways since you had the queen cells. It takes a lot to force them to change their mind about a swarm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts