Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to take a look through the observation window of my hive and after already seeing that not that many bees were bearding today I discovered that the bee population is dramatically lower. Some of you may remember that I am waiting on a larger hive to transfer my hive into since they were running out of room.

Is the sudden drop in polulaton an indication that they already swarmed or just part of the natural cycle?

I did not see any sense in opening the hive to check closer since it is late in the afternoon and probably not the best time to go in there.

Thoughts?

b:s

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd say, go outside and look for the swarm. It can't be too far and you may be able to catch it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already went out looking... no sign of them. I last peaked at them Sunday afternoon and they were still there in huge numbers. Did not get a chance to check yesterday since I was travelling and today it appears that there are significantly less bees. WIll open up the hive in the morning to be sure but it seems that they swarmed.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opened the hive this morning and there are definitely about half the bees I saw the last time. Very little honey, just a bit around brood comb and two smaller combs with perhaps 45% capped honey. Towards the middle of the hive three to four bars with brood in several stages and empty brood bar in the front. Seems like a lot more pollen stores than there used to be. An open large cell on one of the smaller newer combs that I assume is a queen cell? And I found a queen. Would the new queen already be out this quickly? If indeed they swarmed I had to be on Monday or yesterday since on SUnday they were still all there.

One other thing I found were hive beetles. Not huge amounts perhaps 10 to 15 in the entire hive. Bees are chasing them but they were definitely concentrating on the area with brood. How many beetles is too many? Could they be affecting the bee population this dramatically or do you guys think indeed they swarmed? Would the new queen be ready this quickly? Should I do something about the beetles or are those numbers tolerable? I read in another thread to place pipe with small holes and mineral oil in it but am a bit unclear on where you place the bar. On the inside hanging, running the same direction as the topbars?
Thanks for any insight.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
For the HB, get a cd plastic box, fill it with boric acid and place it in the corner.........not a pesticide, just dehydrates and kills the beetles .......holes too small for bees to enter.........works great........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, See you are in Manning. Have a friend that lives in Manning. :) so do you think the beetles are affecting the numbers or they swarmed?? Already have the CD box. Never even noticed they have small wholes. So I just lay it in a bottom corner? Thanks for the tip.
b

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Top corner, bottom corner..maybe both.........I'm thinking your hive swarmed. Moved to Manning about 5 years ago....who is your friend?

Larry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Artist Tarleton Blackwell. I will put the trap in. Some articles I read just put the trap on top of the bars? How would the beetles get in then? You put the box inside the hive correct?
b

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Don't know him but I believe I have seen some of his works at the Weldon Ctr.......

Yes, place the cd in the hive. Other traps you place on bars. The bees chasing the beetles will drive them into the small openings on the CD.......they get the boric acid on them which will shortly dry them out and kill them...........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts