Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my first 2 hives 12 days ago. Each was a 7 frame medium nuc. I put them in a 8 frame medium with a additional frame, and put another 8 frame medium on top with 8 foundationless frames. I checked the hives sunday at 1 week and each had drawn out about half of the frames. So I thought I would wait till this Sunday to add another super. I looked at this one hive at 2pm today before I went to work and everything appeared normall to me. The bees were busy, and steady bringing in pollen. Its 4am now and I heard a bee bussing around in the bedroom I scooped it up and let it out. When I did I could see some bees on the landing board of my hive. I looked with a flashlight and saw about 15 bees on the landing board fanning. And you could hear the hive humming. I checked my other hive and all the bees were inside, and you could barley hear any noise. Do you think my first hive swarmed after 2pm when I left for work?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
It's possible but you really need to open it up and check. Look for swarm cells, colony size, etc. I'm not sure you need all the space you're adding. As I understand it, you have an 8 frame hive body topped with a new 8 frame body using foundationless frames. Assuming that your 7 frame nuc was wall to wall brood, that still gives them 8 new frames to pull wax in and for the queen to lay in. That's a lot for less than 2 weeks. I'm not sure you need a super right yet but you'll know for sure when you get in there an take a look. Let us know!

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I first moved there, it took me a week to get used to breathing water. ;) They may just be trying to cool the hive.

·
Registered
760 Posts
my thinking is that the bees will NOT swarm at 4am ---

most likely a skunk or other rodent is pestering the hive at night

bees cant fly in the dark
so i highly doubt that they were swarming - the fanning was probably spreading scent to get more bees to respond to the pest at night

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the hive today, allthough I didnt see the queen, I saw no swarm cells. Im not good enough yet to spot the queen, she is unmarked. The hive did not appear to swarm, by the amount of bees in it. Seven of the new foundationless frams, were almost completely drawn out, some were. One was just started and Two were empty. So I added another eight frame box with empty frames, and and put one frame of honey in it also.

I dont have any skunks around here, but I do have opposum. When I looked at the hive last night, I did see four big palmetto bugs under it(giant ****roaches). Do you think these could be alarming the bees? I have a hive top feeder on, so I did not have the top board with a notch in it for ventilation. I add the top board today so the hive can vent out the top.

·
Registered
760 Posts
could be a number of things - mice, rat, possum,****, but sounds like something was pestering them - place a mouse trap under the hive area - near the entrence -

what ive seen done also is to set the trap - with no food -
place the mouse trap trigger right at the entracnce - that way if something scraches at the entrance they will get snapped - seemed to have worked

$3 to save bees is cheap and help you rest at night ......priceless

best of luck

oh and also --- if you cant find the queen stop looking for her -- if you cant find her your chances of smashing her are greater - just look for eggs --- if you find eggs she is there - if not wait 3 days and look again - you will find eggs faster then an unmarked queen

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
If you think it's hindering ventilation you can take the reducer off. I leave it on until the colony is strong. Then, they get the whole entrance until the fall and robbing season starts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts