Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
759747499_640.jpg

I had the "opportunity" to taste "Aunt Sue's Raw Honey" and I thought it was wretched. I was surprised that it was a U.S. product.

The SueBee website says: "Delicious Aunt Sue's Raw Honey will delight your taste buds with pure unfiltered all natural flavor. Indulge in the robust flavor of wildflower honey."

There was a lot of flavor... an "awful" amount of flavor. Or perhaps it simply didn't suit my taste. :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I bought a bottle of it last year, while strong nothing offensive. Maybe they're dumping all their goldenrod honey from last year lol.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
It does say "robust" it's not like you weren't warned. But look out folks any mention of Sue on here........well you know.:lookout:

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a lot of sunflower, leafy spurge,and the like to market. They have let us say, distinctive flavors.
"Spurge"? After reading what Wikipedia says about Spurge I believe that Aunt Sues Raw Honey could certainly contain Spurge and Goldenrod. Possibly more Spurge...

From Wikipedia: The common name "spurge" derives from the Middle English/Old French espurge ("to purge"), due to the use of the plant's sap as a purgative.

Aunt Sue's Raw Honey is certainly not my "cup of tea" but some must like it...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It does say "robust" it's not like you weren't warned. But look out folks any mention of Sue on here........well you know.:lookout:
oh you mean like I wouldn't feed sue bee honey to my bees, let alone consume it myself?? ;)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Aunt Sue sells better in the South where people are used to dark honeys and robust flavor. Unlike you Yankees that prefer water white honey and NO flavor. I Am one of the Southern Producers that produces dark honey for Sioux Bee (Aunt Sue) and for industrial usage. TED

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
snip
I Am one of the Southern Producers that produces dark honey for Sioux Bee (Aunt Sue) and for industrial usage. TED

"Industrial" came to mind when I first tasted Aunt Sue's Raw Honey.

So, the answer to my question is "no" the honey I tasted is not "bad", but it has a strong flavor... and industrial uses.

Perhaps it could be packaged as Stump Remover and sold to Yankees... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Industrial uses are General Mills, and other cereal manufactors. No, Ace, our honey house is top notch, as automated as you can get in this industry and kept clean. So no elbow grease is found here in honey. Our honey house and processing equipment is the one that will be featured in the honey processing section of the new edition of the Hive and the Honeybee that will be coming out in the near future. TED

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I know Ted you have told us several times before. I just wanted to check if you were still ignoring.;)

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
So it is inconceivable that there is a quality Control issue? A.customer complains about an off flavor and, without anyone offering.to taste.it, without anyone suggesting that suebee be contacted?
Certainly there are different tastes and preferences...but if I got a complaint like this I would want to taste the honey out of the jar in question. I would not simply assume that a coop handling 50million+ lbs of honey is incapable of sending out a bad batch.
Deknow

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Chinese honey has no taste. My bet is it mostly corn syrup.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Acebird, have you tasted any of the honey that is manufactured in China, and then shipped thru Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, or India?

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have asked about the legitimacy of the exporters of honey from Indonesia and India. I have been told that it is honey produced in those countries and not transshiped chinese honey. While I wonder why WE ( I as a co-op member) are buying honey from those countries that might be of questionable quality, color and flavor.....These are countries that have vast rubber tree plantations. And it is my understanding, and I could be wrong, Rubber tree honey is not too good. I hope that Rubber tree honey was not mixed in with good quality dark honey produced down in the southland of the USA. That would be a sticky, rubbery mess. TED

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have asked about the legitimacy of the exporters of honey from Indonesia and India. I have been told that it is honey produced in those countries and not transshiped chinese honey. <snip>
Ted, I could get into pricing issues, product quality issues, etc.,.but this focuses on "the word" of a company. My primary vendor told me that I had an exclusive distributorship on a particular line of products...two weeks later my competitor not 20 miles from me (we wholesale) had that particular line. Fast forward, as I'm having lunch with my rep he casually tells me that he is signing up a large competitor that has actually been a direct ship customer of mine for several years. I was promised that competitor would not be in my market area with the product....a month later....BINGO there at my front door! Another couple of years pass by and sitting down to eat lunch with my (new) rep he whips some papers out and tells me how I need to start buying through my previous customer/competitor. That's when I politely stood up and told him to kiss my dear-rear and to tell everyone else at his company to do the same....and I walk a mile back to my office (I should've waited and left after I ran up a bill at the restaurant!<g>). If that rep walked into my office today there would be an ambulance there in a few minutes....he's a big guy and would probably whip to crap out of me! :eek:

This happened after a history going on 50 years of sticking with them when others jumped ship...we were loyal, to a fault. I personally traveled to Australia/New Zealand, Austria and France with the company and sent guys to Alaska, Hawaii, etc., with them...we weren't big fish, but we weren't small fish either. But, after we had cultivated and established brand identity several decades they had to move us out of the way to move some big fish in. Very cold blooded. And this from longtime "friends".

What I'm getting at is that the big companies will tell you what they think you want to hear...and you know this. Sure, they'll tell you things that aren't so rosy, but they'll tell you enough "positive" to keep you in position where they want you. And they're definitely not above outright lying. It is interesting that when my old rep was getting transferred that suddenly it went from "you've got as good a price as anyone"(sure) to "do what you've gotta do"....basically he wasn't feeding me the party line anymore, he was focusing on his new fish. How much honey do you produce compared to what Sioux Nation imports from Vietnam? Indonesia? India? Argentina? The only one I would think that likely wouldn't be in cahoots with China would be India. But, do you 'reckon Sioux would drop any one of them to keep Ted online? Numbers, Ted, it's all about numbers...loyalty is laughed at these days.

I'll never be in the honey business in the way that you are. I believe you've already mentioned wanting to retire out of it in a few years, I send my best wishes in regards to that. I'm a few years older than you, so I'll settle for a few hives and enjoy the hobby...and I'll be marveling that the little bit of honey that I produce is some of the most expensive honey in the world. (hopefully it'll be edible and won't taste like a rubber tree) :rolleyes: :D

Be careful in having your eggs in one basket...it might not get dropped, but a rat could eat a corner out of it. But, you know the business...I don't...I'm still trying to figure out something simple like what foundation to use (or not use). Best wishes with your business, Ted...hope to see you in Montgomery.

Ed

PS... i just wanted to be sure and state that I hope my message above did not sound personal against Ted or the coop and I wish both well. I'm not familiar with the coop so certainly can't speak directly about it. I feel that when they speak up for the welfare of honey bees and honey producers in general, even guys like me (wannabees) benefit from there efforts. As long as they don't lobby to limit my hobby (maybe sideliner) venture I'm happy. :) I'll be able to sell all the honey I can produce (I just hope I have a surplus to sell above what I can eat!!) As for their business...their customers and producers...well, that's their...business, and I can only wish them well.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've worked in China on two occasions, and the air pollution is so bad that I doubt they have bees in large numbers. They did have honey, but I asked about the honey and was told that it was imported from Taiwan. I couldn't say, as all of the writing on everything was in Chinese. (they had Crest toothpaste, that had the same American container, but with all words in Chinese) The honey, where ever it came from, was good. I know, because I ate a lot of honey with bread and a lot of fruit. I did not like the local cuisine near Dongying, China.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
AH, Swamp, Sioux bee is a honey cooperative formed back in the 1930's to market honey. It takes its name from Sioux City, Iowa. The city in which it was first formed and is still headquartered today. Sioux Bee has nothing in common with the Proud Sioux Indian Nation, except the name. But the products are sold as "SUE BEE" to be politically correct. TED

1 - 20 of 28 Posts