Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after some trials and tribulations with getting my hive feeder situation straight I have run into yet another problem (or so I think).

I released the queen on Friday. The bees seemed like they were ready for her because they were feeding her through the wires, although they clung tightly to them. However, after two days the hustle and bustle that I once saw in the front of the hive is no longer there. The bees seem angry and not willing to leave the hive; at least in the numbers that they were two days ago.

I'm thinking to check the hive on Monday for the queens presence. If she isn't there I'll order a new queen. I'm just worried that(since this is a package thats a week old) it's getting a little too far in the game to try and introduce a new queen!

What should I do? Am I too late? Whats going to happen now?!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not that far away from you, and I would venture that the weather might have something to do with how the bees are acting right now. I know Blacksburg got storms Friday night (headed in your direction), and last night we had another good soaker. Partly cloudy & good chance of rain tonight. One thing I've definitely noticed about bees--they can get mighty grumpy when the weather turns bad.

Weatherbug for here has good chance of rain early next week (100% on Monday). Wednesday is supposed to be partly cloudy, so that might be a better day to check.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just info. Don't know what it really means. I was installing a pkg and took the cork from the end of the queen cage but did not realize that the candy plug had fallen in with the queen. As soon as I popped the cork the queen flew like a bat out of h**l and was gone. I went and picked up a new queen two hrs later and was told to wait 1 day before putting her in the hive and let the bees release her. When I went back all the bees had drifted to the other pkg that I installed. So be carefull not to let your bees drift. Maybe you should seal them in the hive body with 1:1. Hope an expert will give you more advice.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Iceshrike, if you didn't get into the hive today, tomorrow would be a really good day weatherwise. I plan to pop the top on mine to see if the girls have started getting busy in my second brood box. Same weather as you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts