Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first hive in May. I noticed that 70% of the frames in the hive body had been drawn out, so I added another deep hoping that this would complete my brood chambers. So far I am seeing about 90% of the frames with brood and about 10% capped honey..... This seems right to me, but maybe I am wrong.

I have noticed that they have been drawing out the frames in the second box, but not as fast as I would like. I am wondering if I have added the second deep box too soon. I am reading that most use a medium box as their second, did I make a mistake with using the deep?

How do i increase the production in the second hive?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
They were drawing comb faster a few weeks ago because they had access to more nectar - when there isn't any coming in they have no reason to build new comb.

As far as your choice of a double deep brood chamber - that's a personal choice, not a mistake. You might change your mind about it later (or not) but if you do, you can use the second deep to start another hive.

Personally I don't see the logic of using two sizes for brood, and then probably shallows for honey supers - nonetheless, it isn't unusual to see it done by people with a lot more experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feed back! I'm somewhat of a worrier and haven't built my self confidence with this yet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sounds like your are right on target, doing everything right. My bees draw out comb faster if I put feeders with 1:1 sugar syrup on them. I let my feeders run out for a couple of weeks and the comb production all but stopped. Put the feeders back on 3 days ago and they are back at it.

Put on feeders.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bees have their way to teaching you patience, they'll fill it in their time. As your population picks up you'll see an increase in drawing out your comb and filling it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If there are still combs not completly drawnout in the bottom box, they are working in two boxes, more work slower progress in the top box. They will sometimes move up and leave foundation in the lower box until later. You have made sure that they have enough room, let bees be bees. You did good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts