Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While checking my hives this afternoon I found one hive with one deep and two mediums.... the medium directly above the deep; every frame is filled with capped honey:}

However; the third medium on top it have not yet moved into:{

So I placed the third medium(not drawn) on top of the deep and then put the second (honey filled medium) on top and closed the hive...

So...did I screw up?

My thinking was that the queen would not move up due to the second medium being filled with honey...

Ok what's the solution?

Any advice would truly be appreciated

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have noticed that queens like to stick to one box for quite a long time. You haven't done anything wrong, and I think moving the empty box down is a good choice.

Queens will lay eggs in comb that is barely started - they lay the eggs and the workers quickly fill out the wax around it. When she does this they will draw comb like crazy.

If you want to use this medium box for brood, you could also try putting it below the brood box, they might build it faster, or maybe not. They will probably pack it with honey not brood if all the other frames are capped.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think you will be fine with it in the middle. The Rose method puts empty boxes in between full boxes to get them to use it. you could put one of the honey frames (especially uncapped) in the outside spot so they have a close supply.

·
Registered
638 Posts
you could also try pulling some of the drawn out frames from the full med....and moving them into the empty box...might get them intrested in that box too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts