Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a nuc off of a guy a month or so ago that was in a deep and I run all mediums they have filled the deep and the queen has just started laying in a medium I put on top it has eggs but no larva I wanted to go ahead and split her while she was in the top box because I'm racing the clock in my area for splits so I moved it with the queen to a new bottom board and shook in a few frames of nurse bees so now I have a deep with lots of everything it needs to make a new queen and a medium that is essentially a package since it has no capped brood. I did switch the hive locations so some of the forragers will start bringing back stores as it was light on pollen but had plenty of nectar and some capped honey. I checked on them about 30 min later and the confusion seemed to settle down and I saw forragers returning and entering the new hive.

So that is what I did my question was did I rush this or do you think it will be ok?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The medium should be fine and you know when you need the deep to get started on QCs in your local. Keep an eye on drifting back to the queen is all.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the imput it seemed logical at the time I did it and then immieadtly after I got nervous lol So far it looks like about 4 to 1 of the forragers are returning to the deep which seems logical as that is about the size difference between the deep and the new medium nuc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts