Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a five frame nuc that I added a second deep five frame on top. The bees were not moving up, so few days ago I moved one frame up. The bees only stayed on the one frame. So today I reversed the boxes. Was this a good idea?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The queen likes to start low and move up when she fills the frames; what you may have done is to cause the queen to hiccup but you likely did no harm. It is a common practice to 'bait' the bees into the new box but I find that it often isn't needed; they will move up and if you break the brood frames up you could end up loosing a frame of brood.

Something else I wanted to mention as your post appears to suggest you are visiting the hive quite often; I would suggest being more patient, visit the hive once a week at most and only sufficiently to ensure you have a queen and to inspect for space. Each time you open the box, especially pulling frames you can cause a slow-down of activity. Do something, then wait a week and give the bees time to see what you did; they will move up when they are ready.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
What you are trying to do is expand or open the brood nest. Are you using foundation frames, or foundationless, or drawn comb frames? Yes it can make a diff on this.

Reversing the hive bodies at this point isn't going to help get those frame full of bees. They will only draw comb as they need it, and they will only expand the brood nest as there are bees to cover the new brood.

So what I would suggest using the following base line is this.

If using only frames with or without foundation.
Put your hive boxes back the way they were to begin with. Then wait. You see they will draw out the one frame you put in the bottom as long as it is placed in the center of the box. #3 frame that is. It will take them a few days to get it drawn if you are not feeding them. If you are feeding them it won't take as long. Then the next time you open them up for inspection do the same thing again moving that frame up with a new frame in #3 spot on bottom box. At this same time, move the frames in the upper box around till #3 is blank with the two drawn frames at #2 and #4. Continue till you have enough drawn frames to continue to the next box, etc.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If you only have five frames I would not be pulling one up to the next box. It doesn't matter if it's on top or bottom. Bees expand to the space available. In a tree that is always down when they start the colony.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts