Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just fogged for the first time. The first hive was uneventful (I think because I was scared and only pumped the trigger once), aside from one bee that had clearly gotten into the stream of the fog and was rolling around. But the next two, after I fogged (two pumps on the trigger), bees just came streaming out. A few were rolling around, but mostly they were coming out of the hive and returning foragers were not entering. About 2-3 minutes later, tons of bees at the entrance and I saw fog seeping out the top. Was I supposed to crack the top or have some other entrance? How much fog is too much? I'm using laxative mineral oil, but the fog smells to me - is it just the fuel burning? Is it because it is new or does it always smell?

Sorry to go on and on, it is just a little nerve-racking.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I actually watched a fogging today on about 10 or so hives. Everything you describe in your post, I saw on a grand scale. Bees everywhere pouring out of the hives, along with the vapor from the fogging. Im not sure if its the propane or mineral oil, but it does smell. dickm on this forum invited me to see his Apiary today, where I learned quite a bit from this veteran beekeeper.

------------------
"To bee or not to bee, that is the question"

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It is vaporized (as in boiled and turned into vapor) mineral oil. It has a slight oil smell to it, yes. I haven't had lots of bees pouring out of the hives. But usually I'm fogging one with a SBB and putting it underneath. I have also fogged some with solid bottom boards and still didn't notice a lot of bees pouring out. You shouldn't be too close with the nozzel.
http://www.beesource.com/pov/rodriguez/abjjan2003.htm

Here's a picture of Dr. Rodriguez fogging. That's about how far you should be from the entrance.

I have seen them wrestle right after like they are fighing robbers, but this quickly ends.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited June 12, 2004).]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that helps. I went back out 10 minutes later and everything looked fine. I think I did fog them too close.
Michael, I have SBB on all of the hives. So, do you fog them from the back, up the screen? Mine have a board for tracking varroa - I guess I would take it out first? And then you have upper entrances too, but it is not required/recc for fogging, right?

[This message has been edited by Louise (edited June 12, 2004).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts