Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hive has three medium supers of mostly drawn frames that are only partially filled with honey but no complete capped frames (or anywhere near complete). The bees don’t seem interested in capping the cells. Is this anything to worry about? I put on the additional supers when the original one was drawn out but not capped. I added the new supers on the bottom of the super with the drawn frames to force the bees to start working the new frames. The hive has a screened bottom board and the environment here is very dry so I would imagine the honey is cured (what I have scooped out, tastes good). I don't want to harvest raw honey so I haven't taken any yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the girls to finish up there work? :scratch: This is a new hive this year that is from a captured swarm in May.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
There are basically two reasons bees won't cap honey, either it is not cured (somewhere around 18% moisture) or the cell is not full. If you are in a dearth and they are not bringing in any new nectar then don't expect them to cap any time soon. Also I would have waited until the first super was mostly capped before adding another and I always add the new super on top, but that is just me. Anyway that is how I do it, hope that helps a bit!! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
You could try putting one of the supers above the inner cover. They will usually move the honey/nectar down to the other supers when you do that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
N.S. I think you’re on to my problem. I put on the other supers before they finished with the first. That's a note for next year. All the cells are about 2/3 full and they seem to be spreading out the new nectar they are bringing in. The flowers in our area are starting to fade, so I guess I'm in a as much of a dearth as I will have in the city.

Ardilla, I will give your idea a try. Unfortunately I will have to make one. Being here in Southern California I did not buy any inner covers, but I do have a sheet of plywood that I can make one out of.

Thanks for the ideas; this will give me something to work on.
Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts