Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the forum that diatomaceous earth was used to keep carpenter ants from attacking the bee hives. I placed the mineral around the feet of all my hives and noticed that some bees dive bombed into the white powder and then tracked it into the hive. What happened? Am I now killing off bees in my hives?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
wow.
That couldn't be good. DE will effect bees the same as ants.

I think you might want to sprinkle it under the hive, around the legs and then rake it in. When I put borax out for the ants I covered it with hardware cloth.

T doubt you have wiped out the hive, but I doubt it would be good.

Mike

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've heard some say to do that but I have also heard it makes it not work well - but then it is all hear say :)

Mike

·
Registered
706 Posts
what your putting down is kitty litter. or the main ingredient. carpenter ants will eat your hive bodies. best way to prevent them is to use copper Napthanate befor you set up you hives. ast for ants I would use amdrome it only affects ants.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
DE is not cat litter. There may be some DE in cat litter - don't know.
DE is the dried body of a sea "weed". It can also be dangerous to breath and it is usually suggested that you use a dust mask.

It works by cutting the exoskeleton of bugs (I believe it will also effect soft bodies). Their insides then dry out.

Mike

·
Registered
180 Posts
sweet, are they black carpenter ants?

The traditional advice is for you to seek out the nests. Usually there is one major nest and several satellite nests. At dusk go out and look for ant activity. You can often find the general area where they are coming from and the next day, seek and destroy with just about any labeled insecticide. They are pretty easy to knock down.

You can also use baits, but be careful to keep your bees out of the bait stations. Terro can work, or Maxforce has a carpenter ant bait that some people have success with. If you use baits. place some tests to be sure that they are foraging to the baits.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, they are black carpenter ants. I found the major nest tonight and placed DE all over the nest. I will rake the DE into the soil beneath the hives tomorrow morning. I have sugar water placed across from the hives to attract the ants away from the hives but a fellow beek told me to get some boric acid and mix it with the sugar water but place a mesh over the bait so that the ants can feed but the bees cannot feed from the bait.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Nothing more than my opinion - I like the last idea. A feeder with borax and metal cloth over it. Something like that worked for me last year.

I better do something like it again. This year we have large black ants in the feeders. The guard/soldier ants actually rear up if I flick at them or if a bee come close to them.

Mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I use DE and it works great, but i also use ground cinnamin on top of the inner cover and ever since i have not seen one ant on that inner cover! I used to see 1000's! To each their own, but im only stating the facts!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, they are black carpenter ants. I found the major nest tonight and placed DE all over the nest. I will rake the DE into the soil beneath the hives tomorrow morning. I have sugar water placed across from the hives to attract the ants away from the hives but a fellow beek told me to get some boric acid and mix it with the sugar water but place a mesh over the bait so that the ants can feed but the bees cannot feed from the bait.
careful with the amount of boric acid. I think 2% is max, as more will discourage ants from feeding. Or you could just buy Terro, which is a sugar/boric mixture. Any hardware store should have it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Honeydreams, What is Amdrome?
I think that's " Amdro ", an oil based fire ant bait. Probably won't work well on carpenter ants, as they seek protieins or sugar, primarily. But, wouldn't hurt to try, as it's cheap.

With ants (and other social Hymenoptera like bees!), it's all about what food group they are feeding on, sugars, proteins or fats. That's why with baits I suggest putting test bait stations out, and seeing what they actually forage on, and then providing them with that type of bait.

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
carpenter ants will eat your hive bodies. best way to prevent them is to use copper Napthanate
Carpenter ants will not eat dry wood. The best way to prevent carpenter ants is to prevent wet (through and through) wood. No chemicals are needed. If you have wet woodenware, you've got other problems that need to be addressed.

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
I have sugar water placed across from the hives to attract the ants away from the hives
Bees will keep ants at bay. If they are getting between the inner and outer cover, simply shim up the outer cover to allow the bees easy access to the space and they will keep the ants from nesting there. Often there is an easy solution to these problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts