Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few bees acting as if they are almost paralyzed. Some were on the ground in my yard not near the hives, and others were staggering around on the landing board of the hive and eventually fell off. Their wings are not deformed, and I can't see any other physical problem. The sightings were over a week's span. I've seen probably fewer than ten bees doing this.

I do have some varroa, like everyone else, but the mite count on the sticky board isn't high. These are new packages installed around 5 or 6 weeks ago and the hives appear to be doing very well.

I have not used any pesticide or other foreign substance in the hive. Smoke is from pine straw and sticks. Two hives are not being fed and the syrup in the other is fresh. They are in an urban environment.

My first thought is they had gotten into some pesticide somewhere. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Possible, though that would be a light exposure (which sure happens). Crawlers can be from several things; tracheal mites is another possibility. How's the broodnest look and other colony health measures?

Ten crawlers I wouldn't worry about too much unless it increases, persists etc. Keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
10 bees is no big deal. I am seeing similar behavior in a handful of bees. I was thinking it could be some of the older bees dying off.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I've seen that in hives that have heavy varroa mite loads. I'm suspecting it is IAPV (Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus), which at one time was said to be carried by the varroa mites. Not sure if it's what you have there or not.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Sticky board is not a good indicator of mites. Do an alcohol wash to get an accurate count.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts