Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently posted that I had a hive in trouble. In the discussion, it became evident that I could be dealing with
1. Varroa infestation
2. European Foulbrood
3. Over vaporization of Oxalic Acid.

I opened up what seems to be a pretty active hive today. They spent the winter in two deeps, but seem to be inhabiting only the upper box. I took the bottom box away and went through the frames on top too. Being a bit paranoid based on the posts in the other thread, I gave them a Terra Patty as well as put in a Checkmite strip.
It occurred to me after reading the comments of the more experienced, that there are a lot of things that I look at all the time that I really don't have a solid understanding of.
I took pictures of the frames from the bottom box of some of the things I noticed, in hopes that the experts on the forum would reply and educate me to the end of being better equipped to care for my bees in the future.

Please, if you would be so kind, examine the photos below and let me know what it is I am looking at.

Photo 1
The center white cell is the one I poked with a framing nail.

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4
This is glistening and wet. I assumed it is water or nectar.

Photo 5

Photo 6
Pollen? and the white at the top is?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Assuming that the hive didn't have AFB put it in the freezer until you catch a really good swarm and give it to them. A week later it will look like new. Of course thaw it out first.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have frames that look similar to your frame #3 ---- I have pulled out the dead bees and they don't have deformed wings -- just dead bees.

I assume it is mite related but we did go thru a really cold spell.

Interested in hearing what others think about Photo #3 in particular.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, what do I do with a frame like that? Can it be re-used? Do I need to put new foundation in it?
There are a few frames with similar looking conditions.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Normal deadout combs. Probably mites/virus's.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I have frames that look similar to your frame #3 ---- I have pulled out the dead bees and they don't have deformed wings -- just dead bees.

Interested in hearing what others think about Photo #3 in particular.
I agree with Pete that #3 looks like mite problems. Not all the pupae will have deformed wings. Also look for flat stunted abdomens and varroa feces.

#4 is sugar syrup? #5 looks like it has some entombed pollen. #6 is typical pollen hoarding by colonies crashing from mite problems...imo

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Primarily I see, pollen (beebread), nectar, and crystallized syrup/honey. I don't see any, "mold", just crystals.

I do see a little mold on the beebread in photo number 2, nothing that the bees couldn't clean up in short order.

In photo number 3, there is a shot of brood, that is in very poor condition, similar to what I've heard described as PMS (parasitic mite syndrome).

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Where is the queen from? Oliverez by chance?Crazy Roland
An Olivarez would not have made it this late into the season. Half the packages I got on 3/12 had drone layer queens and the two orders I got at later dates for the most part crapped out in August. He admitted to the guy who picked up the packages that he had mating problems and told another guy "if you don't medicate my bees they will die". I might as well used my Olivarez package money for toilet paper.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I don't see much consistent with EFB in these images. Your earlier set had more capped cells with a pierced hole in the cap.
Exception would be this detail shown below. Can't tell about the nature of the cell with pointer. Color is right for EFB (and for pollen. ) Lack of other images of buckskin or brownish larvae slumped on cell bottoms, makes me think mites/nosema are the main culprits.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tristan36 - Do you mind if I grab your pictures to use on our club website - www.cookevillebeekeepers.com? It's hard to remember to snap one of the stuff that you don't really want to show off, but these are pretty typical of winter losses.
Of course you can use my pictures. Just please share any other discoveries that might come to light.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts