Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out my front porch is the ideal place to catch swarms... so much for putting traps out in the trees in the woods..

In the past 2 weeks, I have caught 2 small swarms. Both times, I had moved some used equipment (cardboard nuc boxes) from my vehicle to make some room for a home depot run and then was too lazy to put it back in.

A day later I notice bees carrying in pollen.. huh. I guess my location is a prime scouting location.

I noticed that this most recent swarm was a little more "flighty" when I opened the lid to check it out. the swarm was barely big enough to cover a single frame so it wasn't unmanageable and they weren't stinging -- just flying around which is annoying trait in my book.

question for the experts --

How big does a colony need to be to really show off aggressive tendencies.. I wonder if this latest swarm is africanized just because so many seemed to want to check me out when I opened the lid but not stinging because they need to grow the colony..
I'm probably going to remove the queen and add the bees to another colony that Im trying to grow..

Any anecdotal experience out there?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Turns out my front porch is the ideal place to catch swarms... so much for putting traps out in the trees in the woods..

In the past 2 weeks, I have caught 2 small swarms. Both times, I had moved some used equipment (cardboard nuc boxes) from my vehicle to make some room for a home depot run and then was too lazy to put it back in.

A day later I notice bees carrying in pollen.. huh. I guess my location is a prime scouting location.

I noticed that this most recent swarm was a little more "flighty" when I opened the lid to check it out. the swarm was barely big enough to cover a single frame so it wasn't unmanageable and they weren't stinging -- just flying around which is annoying trait in my book.

question for the experts --

How big does a colony need to be to really show off aggressive tendencies.. I wonder if this latest swarm is africanized just because so many seemed to want to check me out when I opened the lid but not stinging because they need to grow the colony..
I'm probably going to remove the queen and add the bees to another colony that Im trying to grow..

Any anecdotal experience out there?
Not an expert, but if its just one frame seems like it would make more sense to put them in a small nuc and see what happens. I'd be hesistant to destroy a queen, especially one that survived winter. Ive had a small swarm like that before that didnt make it. likely a cast off swarm. But 1 frame of bees isnt really going to do much for a full hive. I'd be more apt to add a few frames of brood, eggs, and larva to the nuc and see how it goes.
thats my 2 c

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Beekeeping is regional so someone from So. TX may correct me, but I think the prevailing advice in AHB zones is to re-queen swarms.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Whack the hive with a stick? If a million bees come out and try to kill everything in sight, it's africanized?
My bees wouldn't even notice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts