Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a large bumble be that is thinking of starting a nest in my sunporch. The sunporch is about 8x10, with all but about a 36" door on 3 sides screened in. The 4th side is attached to the house. For the past few days I have had a large (1"+) bumble bee flying around in the sunporch. I have watched it come in and out of the door, so I think it has learned the way around.

I am not a fan of having this bumble bee flying circles around my head when I am on the sunporch. I caught it 2-3 days ago when it landed, and released it about 75 feet from the sun porch, but this didn't seem to do anything.

I don't really want to put a door up on the sun porch because the dog uses it to come and go, and she is blind so she will have problems with it. Anyone have any other idea's for how to deter a bumble bee from coming to a specific area? My beehives are about 3 ft from one side of the sunporch, so I dont know if this will affect peoples recommendations, but it is worth mentioning.

Right now if no one has any good suggestions I am thinking of covering the top 3/4 of the door with screen and leaving the bottom open for the dog. I can build a 3/4 height screen door, but if there are easier methods I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It may be tough to relocate her unless you go miles. If she has a nest in there already it might be necessary to destroy her and the nest. I know, I wouldn't want to harm any bee either. It hurts my feelbads. but sometimes...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Are you sure its not a carpenter bee which look a lot like bumbles? J
This is what I came here to say when i read the little blurb from the parent. I have made the mistake of thinking a carpenter bee was a large bumble.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You may see the male hovering like a hummingbird outside one of the nesting holes in your building they do not sting but are aggressive. The female is usually inside the hole or feeding. They do serious damage to wood. Good idea to at least caulk up any holes to discourage them. They will bore new hole in soft wood.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you probably know they tend to concentrate on unpainted soft wood. They can also be trapped with a homemaid trap.
I dont think carpenter bees are that common in my area. I usually see rust butted bumble bees, but now I know what to look for.

Since it took going thru a 3 ft wide door, flying 6 feet along a screen, then finding a 6" square hole to get into the attic, I don't think there are many/any more that have found their way in. I will keep an eye out though.

If this map is accurate, I am just on the edge/outside of their normal territory.

https://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Carpenter-Bees

1 - 10 of 10 Posts