Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two eight frame extracted supers that needed drying but no appropriate hive to dry them on. We notched two spacer bars, stacked on the supers and added some pans for weather proofing.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
By reading the title, I had expected to see a TBH lined with plastic and filled with ice and beer!

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
Those would be the German black bees.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Those would be the German black bees.
Or the Irish green ones
This is funny...

odfrank:

I like your idea, and I am mulling around your idea in reverse- getting a colony moved out of a Warre and into a Lang.

The OD's of the width dimension are close for my homemade Warres and an 8-frame Langstroth but the challenge is how to weatherproof the additional length if a Langstroth box is stacked below a Warre.

Your photo has me thinking about stacking the Langstroth bodies on top where the problem of the additional length is less of a factor.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is funny...
odfrank: I like your idea, and I am mulling around your idea in reverse- getting a colony moved out of a Warre and into a Lang.
The OD's of the width dimension are close for my homemade Warres and an 8-frame Langstroth but the challenge is how to weatherproof the additional length if a Langstroth box is stacked below a Warre.
Your photo has me thinking about stacking the Langstroth bodies on top where the problem of the additional length is less of a factor.

This was another combination for drying a variety of honey supers. 8 frames on top of octagon Warre. Bees work up better than down, so the Langs on top of the Warres is best for getting them to move. Why do I need to have every size of hive?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Why do I need to have every size of hive?
Now that is quite a hive set-up- cool picture.

I do appreciate your photo inspiration to work on moving colonies up and out of Warres and into Langs.

Thank you for the advice.

Russ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts