Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask if there's some desert beekeepers out there and how to survive as one?

Right now I'm in Utah near the Wasatch front. But I have been thinking of moving to a rural southern Utah or AZ area. It dawned on me one day that there are many desert beekeepers and that somehow they can make it.

I wanted to get advise from them on how and what they do to make things work?

Right now the cost of living is going up so much in the urban areas that I don't see any way I can avoid not moving to a semi-desert patch of dirt.

And it seems fun and interesting to see what desert beeks are doing. I saw a clip of a desert apiary by accident on Youtube one day and I was fascinated with how many hives this guy had out there! It was amazing that there could be so many hives in what looked like some place in AZ or rural CA inland. And it was also inspirational that this guy could make it. (It was an older guy also, though I lost the name and name of the channel unfortunately.)

If this guy can do it then can't the rest of us?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
I think a bit part of success is getting local bees. I'm pretty sure my bees would starve there. I've watched Dee Lusby's bees and when there is a drought they sit tight and don't swarm and don't raise too much brood. Bees that make good decisions for your climate are essential in the desert. They are helpful anywhere.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
Is the desert your choice for other reasons.
it is lots greener in Ohio or Michigan, bees and deserts seem to be somewhat an illogical pairing.

if you have to move consider greener pastures, Literally.

GG

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
I know a semi-desert keeper (technically, very dry prairie)
He is making living off the beekeeping from just local weeds.
One of the keys - the right bees.
He runs some kind of local Carni mutts - very stingy bees.
He's got a weak flow that goes non-stop about 8-9 months and his bees are doing great on that.
(He tried the Buckfast - was a total disaster in his location; he since terminated the Buckfast line)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know a semi-desert keeper (technically, very dry prairie)
He is making living off the beekeeping from just local weeds.
One of the keys - the right bees.
He runs some kind of local Carni mutts - very stingy bees.
He's got a weak flow that goes non-stop about 8-9 months and his bees are doing great on that.
(He tried the Buckfast - was a total disaster in his location; he since terminated the Buckfast line)
I'm curious how do you find these people to pick their mind on stuff with?

Also a new question related to this...

Would desert/arid/dry area beekeepers have to space their hives farther apart than other people?

Curious what you think on this?

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
I'm curious how do you find these people to pick their mind on stuff with?

Also a new question related to this...

Would desert/arid/dry area beekeepers have to space their hives farther apart than other people?

Curious what you think on this?
Why, Youtube.
He keeps his 10-20 hives in the backyard - nothing special.
BUT for any significant # of the hives one should know the forage base regardless (how many hives makes sense to keep on a single spot). As I understood, IF he'd want more hives, he'd setup a second yard a good distance away.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
I watch the Bush Beeman YT videos. He seems to be doing well. To look at the landscape, the question that comes to my mind is "What the heck do the bees forage on?" Very much all sand and scrub brush. It does appear his yards are widely spaced to prevent over-foraging in any one area.

Reactions: ankklackning

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
"What the heck do the bees forage on?" Very much all sand and scrub brush.
That's pretty much is the deal with "my guy".
Like I said, his local bees he derived from Carnis find plenty of forage just off the weeds.
The Buckfast, on the other hand, needed feeding on the exact same forage base.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watch the Bush Beeman YT videos. He seems to be doing well. To look at the landscape, the question that comes to my mind is "What the heck do the bees forage on?" Very much all sand and scrub brush. It does appear his yards are widely spaced to prevent over-foraging in any one area.
The battle of survival is interesting!

Its amazing that bees could have adapted to so many different climates, and make so many different types.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts