Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done bottling up this years honey from my hives and it's the lightest colored honey I've ever seen. Some years it's very dark.
I'd heard from one other beekeeper that he was seeing light honey too and was just curious what others in my area have been seeing.

tabby
p.s. it has a very nice honey taste:p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a little leery of light honey. Could be robbing somebodies feeder.
I thought about that since it is the same color as sugar honey, but my spouse says it's doesn't taste like sugar honey. We fed the bees a lot during our first year and took some of that honey off. This year's honey has a lot more flavor than that sugar water honey.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
If you put your bees on a floral source that produced light honey OK. But if it is just blended honey from the whole season it doesn't feel right to me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
We took 100 pounds or so this year from two hives that gave us really light colored honey.
It's apparently from the Linden tree nectar, as it was very minty tasting!
I sold some honey and MOST people, in a side by side comparison, took the darker colored honey. I increased the price of the lighter colored honey and called it "premium" and guess what started selling then? :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
With all the rain we got this year in Colorado I am guessing your bees had a lot more sweet clover this year, Nebraska I guess had a ton of clover everywhere, down here in the south we have had fantastic clover, both sweet and dutch clovers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all the rain we got this year in Colorado I am guessing your bees had a lot more sweet clover this year, Nebraska I guess had a ton of clover everywhere, down here in the south we have had fantastic clover, both sweet and dutch clovers.
Yes, we had huge fields of it nearby. I only ever see this when we get good summer rains and the last time I saw good summer rains and lots of yellow clover was years before I had bees.
My dutch white clover has done well this year too.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I tend to get light colored honey in town, dark honey from the plains, and in-between from the mountains. I sell the lighter honey from town as premium also. Tons of rain here this year also. My 8 frame hives drew then stored two to three 8 frame deep supers each in town, so the flow was almost 3 times what it was last year including the hives I have in the county.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for the replies from Colorado!

I was cleaning the last bit of the honey from the buckets with my finger and found it really had a good lasting honey taste. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts