Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background

The demaree method of swarm control is basically a split resulting in a stack that's a brood box, a queen excluder, some supers, another queen excluder, and then another brood box. One of the brood boxes has the queen and the other is queenless.

One of the main hassles in the process is that the queenless half will often start making a new queen, so typically it's recommended to cut out all queen cells after 5 to 7 days to prevent this, assuming you're not trying to make increase.

Question

My question is, has anyone tried TempQueen pheromone in the queenless half of a demaree? If so, did it prevent queen cells? If not, do you care to speculate if it would?

It would be even better if you could demaree a hive without caring which half had the queen, give both brood boxes TempQueen, and then recombine a month later without much risk of swarming in the meantime. (?)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
That is an interesting theory that should be tested next spring. I use the Temp Queens when I steal the queen and a frame or two out to the observation hive for the 4 day county fair. The bees don't build queen cells when the temp queen is in there and lets me put the original queen back in by direct release.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts