Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this... anyone every have a delayed sting response? A few hours delayed?

Yesterday I found a huge yellow jacket nest in a run in shed for our sheep and needed to remove it. I sprayed it then put on a bee suit to spray again and removed it. All went well and I had no stings (so I thought), however, about 2 hours later I noticed my left triceps started to heat up and swell a bit. It itched all night. Today the the swelling moved to include my forearm. Seems odd that it took so long for the reaction to take so long. Bee stings don't usually affect me like this.

(I've had no other response. No trouble breathing. Not feeling flushed.)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Weird that you didn't feel the sting. YJs sting is sharp. I have had somewhat delayed reactions, swelling a few hours later. Never anything severe.
I'd probably take a benadryl, just in case.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Are you certain you were not bitten by spider? It can take a while to react.

Alex

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you certain you were not bitten by spider? It can take a while to react.

Alex
I'm beginning to think that is a possibility. My arm is still pretty swollen and some minor swelling has moved down to my hand.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,833 Posts
Rob, I have been bitten by spiders several times, black widows I think as they are prevalent in the apiary. Usually the first indication is the intense itching, often followed by swelling that extends several inches from the bite. I do not typically react to bee and wasp stings so I know it is an entirely different venom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was stung by a YJ about 30 years ago right on the knuckle and pain was almost non existent I only knew I was being stung because I heard the angry buzz and watched the little bugger get me... 2 days later I started swelling at the sting site and within a few hours my hand was huge with sausage fingers that wouldn’t bend... off to the ER and I got a shot and some prescription meds...
I had never had any kind of reaction prior to this from bees or wasps but afterwards I was (and still am) highly sensitive to stings...
one bee crawled up my pant leg last hear and got me on the inside of my knee, by the time I got into the house about 100 feet away my loose jeans had to be rolled off the swollen leg... I now keep a epipen in case I Have breathing problems but thankfully over the counter meds seem to be all I need so far.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A month ago a friend was stung by a honey bee. He had minor swelling and itching. A week later he rather suddenly had hives over his whole body and lots of swelling and needed to go to the ER. He was given prednisone and responded well. That night he started swelling in his neck and face and needed to go back to the ER. He has been doing fine since. I was coaching his wife, a beginning beekeeper, and she now feels she can no longer keep bees. The week delay seemed very odd and I am wondering if something else, combined with the earlier sting, didn't bring on the reaction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts