Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in a dearth and the hive getting tempermental. I was standing next it watching them toss out the drones when one of the little buggers nailed me right on the inside of my middle finger. I had no reaction whatsoever at the time. In a few minutes you couldn't tell where I got stung. Was fine that night and first thing next morning. Then mid-morning yesterday my finger starts itching and swelling and it keeps getting worse all day. By the end of the day the back of my hand was swelled as well. It didn't hurt but it was swollen so I couldn't make a fist. Iced it last night and took some benedryl but it's still swollen today. Anyone else ever had a delayed reaction like that or know what might have caused it to be delayed?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have had that happen several times and it somewhat befuddles me. It usually occurs on my arm; my hands usually don't react. But I have noticed that the "delayed" reaction occurs when I either put pressure on the stung area (ie sleeping on my arm during the night) or when the muscles of the stung area are involved in strenuous movement (ie exercising or work). I haven't talked to the doc about it, but my opinion is that movement and muscle density in response to the movement influences the reaction greatly. If I work hard or sleep on the sting, it swells, goes down in a few hours, and then it happens all over again the next day. I have had it repeat like that for several days before, but nothing serious came of it. It is aggravating though.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
the swelling the next day is from fluid build up as your body flushes out the venom and antibodies. it is a normal thing and the fact that you did not have immediate swelling shows some tolerance, at least that is the best explanation I have heard.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,461 Posts
I don't have much swelling until about 18 hours later it seems (sometime the next morning). Then it gets pretty swollen, very itchy, and hot (my hand was 103*F when I took this picture. No "body" fever, purely local. Took benedryl liquid caps and put hydrocortizone cream on it to help with the itching some. Swelled up enough that I couldn't make a closed fist.
I still have yet to feel that a bee sting actually *hurts*, the sting itself is extremely mild. The reaction is a different story.

Skin Finger Joint Hand Arm

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saw this in another thread from a couple of days ago:
Re: bee sting alergy question
"When I was at the certification courses this spring, they had an ER doctor discuss the physiology of the bee sting. He is also a beek and said that he looks forward to the annual sting that causes his limb to swell more than those that don't. He said the large amount of swelling is because the sting is initiating a systemic response which is good for the immune system and reduces his sensitivity. It is the small local responses that do nothing for improving sensitivity to the venom"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts