Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
=( Hi everyone how are you guys today? I have 2 situations that I need help with? 1) I checked the hive I just added the swarm to a week ago the hive seems to be doing ok I saw eggs or very young larva in the cells and food but when I looked at my queen she was walking around and on her butt it looked like she had two eggs sticking out of it. Is this normal and if not can I fix her or will they pull them out of her?

My second question is in my second hive I saw cells that were chewed open and the bees inside were halfway formed and dead the caps on the rest off the cells are sunken in and badly formed. The queen seems to be able to lay fertile eggs but is choosing not too. there are workers inthe hive just maybe about a hundred or so not counting the field bees that are away right now. And there is food inthe cells. No mites no moth worms or beetles that I can see. Can someone tell me what this sounds like and what I can do to help my hive out please??? Im almost tempted to take them out and put them in another box and just put new frames In but I wanted to ask you guys what I should do first because im New to keeping bees. =) thanks in advance for your help

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>=( Hi everyone how are you guys today? I have 2 situations that I need help with? 1) I checked the hive I just added the swarm to a week ago the hive seems to be doing ok I saw eggs or very young larva in the cells and food but when I looked at my queen she was walking around and on her butt it looked like she had two eggs sticking out of it. Is this normal and if not can I fix her or will they pull them out of her?

I'm sure she's fine. There probably isn't enough room for her to lay and she lost a couple of eggs. That or they aren't eggs, and she's newly mated...

> My second question is in my second hive I saw cells that were chewed open and the bees inside were halfway formed and dead the caps on the rest off the cells are sunken in and badly formed. The queen seems to be able to lay fertile eggs but is choosing not too. there are workers inthe hive just maybe about a hundred or so not counting the field bees that are away right now. And there is food inthe cells. No mites no moth worms or beetles that I can see. Can someone tell me what this sounds like and what I can do to help my hive out please???

Judging by the time or year, the population of the hive, (I can't judge very well your location) I'm going to guess chilled brood. There should be a few thousand nurse bees and a few thousand field bees...

> Im almost tempted to take them out and put them in another box and just put new frames In but I wanted to ask you guys what I should do first because im New to keeping bees. =) thanks in advance for your help

I'd worry more about the space and the number of bees. Do you have another hive? Can you give them a frame of open brood with bees and a frame of emerging brood and bees? That might get them going.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts