Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Stack your mediums above the deep. Eventually they will move up into the mediums and you can remove the deeps and send them to me, LOL.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
That's the simple method. You can speed it up several ways. In the spring you can pull all the empty frames out and probably you'll only have one deep chamber left. You can put some of the medium frames in the deep, or you can put the deeps in the top box of two mediums with no medium below it. Either way will end up with some comb on the bottom of some frames, but you can cut it off and harvest it, if it's honey, or tie it into an empty frame if it's brood. You can even cut all the brood out of the deeps and tie it into medium frames if you're really impatient.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The only difference from med. to deep is the width, correct?

·
Vendor
54,108 Posts
>The only difference from med. to deep is the width, correct?

Hmmmm. That dimension would actually be called "depth". The width on all ten frame Langstroth equipment would be 16 1/4". The length on all ten frame Langstroth equipment would be 19 7/8". The depth on Langstroth equipment varies, but standard depths are 9 5/8"(deep), 6 5/8"(medium), 5 3/4"(shallow) Other depths are 4 3/4"(extra shallow) and 11 5/8(Dadant deep) and occasionally 7 5/8" which doesn't have a name that I know of but Wester Bee Supply lists them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
or perhaps "height", depending whether you are a half-full or half-empty type? ;)

[ September 27, 2006, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: 0n3love ]

·
Registered
438 Posts
OK I have a lot of used deep hives. How do I go about to turn them into 8 frame mediums? Whats the measurements?
And some of the hives have grooves or pieces of wood missing from the bottom edge. Can I run a saw over that to straighten it out, what would be the max. I could cut this way?

Thanks,

·
Vendor
54,108 Posts
>or perhaps "height", depending whether you are a half-full or half-empty type?

No offence, but there is an official name for that dimension and the official name for it is "depth". But I see your point.

>OK I have a lot of used deep hives. How do I go about to turn them into 8 frame mediums? Whats the measurements?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

>And some of the hives have grooves or pieces of wood missing from the bottom edge. Can I run a saw over that to straighten it out, what would be the max. I could cut this way?

The bottom of a deep will need 3" cut off of it. If you have a bad frame rest dado, you could cut some off the top and some off the bottom and redo the dado with a router and the appropriate bit.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well I am still confused? On my 10 frames deeps that I want to make 8 frame mediums;
I need to make the width 13 3/4 and cut 3" off the bottom?

Thanks,
Craig <---- Slow

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
<Craig W.>
Well I am still confused? On my 10 frames deeps that I want to make 8 frame mediums;
I need to make the width 13 3/4 and cut 3" off the bottom?
Yep.

width: 16 1/4 -> 13 3/4 = 10 frame -> 8 frame
depth: 9 5/8 -> 6 5/8 = deep -> medium

·
Vendor
54,108 Posts
>I need to make the width 13 3/4 and cut 3" off the bottom?

Precisely.

The pictures can be clicked on to see the larger ones. they are me cutting down ten frame boxes to eight frames. Deeps to shallows is too simple. Just cut 3" off the bottom, so I didn't take any pictures, but the ten to eight conversion requires the ears on the "new" end to have them fit in the frame rest rabbets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts