Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who all uses deeps as honey supers? What are the pro and cons .
Last year I used deeps and some frames did not get filled out on the thickness of the frame so I'm going with 9 frames instead of 10 what do you all think?
Thank you.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I recently needed to manipulate a few 5-frame deep nucleus boxes of honey. Not a pleasant experience. I sometimes need to move around a few 8-frame medium supers of honey - not pleasant, either. It certainly reinforces my decision, made back in about 1968, not to regularly use anything deeper than medium depth boxes.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So who all uses deeps as honey supers? What are the pro and cons .
Last year I used deeps and some frames did not get filled out on the thickness of the frame so I'm going with 9 frames instead of 10 what do you all think?
Thank you.
Hi Glock! I stopped using deeps last year when I grabbed my first full deep super at chest height.... Now all my deeps are bottom brood chambers and I don't buy any deeps at all, going to all mediums. A deep can hurt you! And you get older every day. I don't wan't 100 deep supers 10 years from now when I'm 66...

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Getting brood comb drawn can happen best in a super on a good strong flow. They are just a little heavier. For the young, firm and strong, deeps supers are quite a bit cheaper to run than medium or shallow supers.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Cheaper to run, until the doctor bills are figured in. Back injuries happen, even to the younger guys. The bees can put it into whatever boxes they're given, but they only do it one drop at a time. I think they're the smart ones.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am running all deeps, but I am selling bees and not really worried about honey production. I did lift a full deep of honey the other day, and barely got it back on the hive. I am 42, and am starting to worry how it will be 20 years from now lifting deeps full of honey. The pro is I can switch out frames within the hive and within the bee yard with no worries. For example, if one hive need a frame of brood, or another needs a frame of pollen, it is simple to do running all one size.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I run all deeps. Well not really. I still have several hundred mediums as well but mostly run deeps for honey production.
Pros: You have drawn equipment for next years expansion/NUC production/etc... There are less boxes and frames to buy and put together. Its hard for non-thinking helpers to put a deeps frame in a medium box.

Cons: They are heavy. You will want to use equipment for moving them full of honey and handle by hand as little as possible. We can only stack them head height when they are full of honey on pallets.

When I am Joseph Clemens age I will feel differently about it. Right now Im good with deeps.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We are primarily running all deeps. The plan is to continue colony expansion so having deeps drawn out on a flow is a bonus in that there are fewer loadings of the extractor, feed frames for nucs are the right size, we can do splits of strong hives any time, no storage needed for preserving comb since it can be cared for by the splits, etc.

Not everyone has the same goals with their operation, that's why they do things differently. Just think through what you want to accomplish and go from there. Deeps full of honey are heavy though. But I would rather deal with one that weighed 70-90 lbs than one that weighed 8 lbs.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I run all deeps. yup full deeps are heavy. thats the only downside. i make all my gear, including frames, so the deeps require a lot less cutting and assembly. a marginal advantage is that my swarm traps are all deeps as well and they are purported to be close the ideal volume for swarm catching. i don;t put much stock in that though.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I have a mix but prefer deeps, just more bang for the buck right now, mostly in terms of time putting equipment together vs capacity.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also have a mix. I like deeps for brood chambers, but this year I did use some for honey. The biggest downside I had was blowouts in the extractor. Maybe its just because I use a tangential, or didn't use more support wire or rods, but happened to a few frames. Used a dolly to get them to the house and had someone help me lift them into the house. I'm only 40, but have had them pull a back muscle a time or two in the past. I also carry an empty on the dolly to the yard so I can brush bees off and transfer frames so I don't have to lift the box but once to get it in the house. That being said: I really like using them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Using tangent style extractors takes much finesse to avoid destroying deeps, but it can be done. I did it for 3 years before I bought my first radial extractor. just flip your frams more often.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would say deeps best asset is economic, especially if you have a lot of hives. I personally am using mediums, but it would have been way cheaper to go all deeps. Less frames to buy, less boxes, etc. I would have went all deeps if it weren't for my wife expressing interest in the bees too. No way she could lift a full deep of honey. Maybe not even a brood deep because they are just bulkier for her.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I run all deeps. Yes, they are heavy and I am old, but they are still the most economical way to run bees IMO. I've done it for so long now that I doubt I could learn to run the smaller boxes. Besides, the bees do well in them!

JMO

Rusty

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
All deeps here, since deeps where invented. A man has got to know economy. None of my ancestors ever had back problems from lifting deeps.

Roland Diehnelt , 5th gen com. beekeeper

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
All deeps here. But like some others, I do nuc and queen production. I produce honey, just not for sale.
I use partial foundation frames. Gives me what I want in the hive bodies and supers. If the deep is too heavy, I just take a few frames out before lifting the entire box.
I run mostly 8 frame deeps now. About 175 colonies at the moment.

Organized frames of clean brood with room for drones. As the drones hatch the large cell foundationless comb is filled with honey. Notice NO messy drone cells on the top or bottom of the frame.

Honey supers give me cut comb honey on the sides. The center on foundation can be extracted or left for the bees. I use most of my honey frames for making nucs. This way I get some and they get some, without extracting.

Drone brood is easily cut out after the springtime urge to rear them..and quickly replaced with new comb during the main flow. Nice mite control if you need it.

I like the way they work the deeps better anyway. I swear they are more efficient on deeps than mediums.

Even my mating nucs are half sized deeps. More meat.

When I get a good pic of a honeyfilled frame on a partial foundation/foundationless set up, I'll post it. It shouldn't be long now :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Yep, I raise queens and nucs, too. But most of my nucs are 5-frame medium. Most of my customers don't have any problems buying them. I've been producing a few deep nucs for customers that prefer them, but this is the last year for that. They'll all need to accept medium depth nucs, or shop somewhere else for deeps.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I'm a 43 year old, big ol corn fed country boy. I own, and operate a semi trailer repair and metal fab shop. I lift heavy things, every day.

I just got embarrassed by little Ms Lauri who said she runs all deeps. LOL I've seen pictures of her on here, she looks about as big as a June bug...

I broke down my 4 double deep "production" hives this afternoon, after work, to make sure all had requeened after swarming. (they were all queenright) The top deeps on all 4 hives had 10 frames of capped honey. I swear the things felt like they weighed 90 pounds.

I like mediums. :D

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I was experimenting/ still am/ with mediums for the brood nest. The extra time to inspect 33 frames instead of 22 has about tipped the scales for deep brood boxes. I am running some of each to give me interchangeability, but the soup and the bisquits never come out even! I put both deep and medium supers on today. I am only 63. When I get old, I may switch to all mediums when I need to take it easy.
I would say deeps best asset is economic, especially if you have a lot of hives. I personally am using mediums, but it would have been way cheaper to go all deeps. Less frames to buy, less boxes, etc. I would have went all deeps if it weren't for my wife expressing interest in the bees too. No way she could lift a full deep of honey. Maybe not even a brood deep because they are just bulkier for her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts