Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having luck with a deep bottom and mediums everywhere else? I was thinking about the weight issue and realized that I could just leave the deeps as the lowers and use mediums for all the uppers and supers. Then I could lift them easily without having to unload frames everytime I wanted to do an inspection. My only concern is figuring out how many mediums I'd need to support them through the winter. Is it just based on weight?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats what I'm running on my hives. I can use the deep frames for when I buy nucs I have a place to transfer to and also making nucs. I also have some hives all medium and have built some medium nucs also. I don't use shallow supers. I like the mediums and its worked out fine for me right now. I run three mediums or one deep and two mediums for winter if they have filled the third one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Deeps and mediums should work fine... I'm running single deeps with two shallows for brood chambers, with shallow honey supers. I got the idea from Walt Wright's "Double Deep" article - http://www.beesource.com/point-of-view/walt-wright/objections-to-the-double-deep . For over-wintering needs in my area, I want each colony to have 60-80 lbs. of capped honey, so I plan to leave a shallow honey super in addition to what is stored in brood chamber.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm doing it by default: I got my three new nucs home in May, and discovered to my horror that the nuc frames were deep and all my boxes were medium. I whipped out the circular saw and cut a couple in half, and voila; 2-piece deep bottems. bees sealed up the gap, I rush ordered some deep frames and now it seems all is well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, I like Ross Conrad's book. Both he and Walt Wright mention that the queens prefer the larger comb area provided by the deep. I figured I'd try Walt's approach first and see if the bees would keep the brood in the bottom deep naturally. If not, I can move toward Ross Conrad's configuration by reversing.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I did that for a while and liked it. Never a problem. It was handy when I was buying a nuc that was in a deep and I didn't want to struggle to move them into a medium.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm using a single deep for the brood chamber and then the queen excluder and mediums on top of that. This setup seems to be working fine for my bees. They have lots of honey this year.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
After reading the article by Walt Wright I feel that I need to change my set up to a single deep and two mediums for the brood chamber. I have been thinking about checkerboarding the upper deep in order to keep the brood nest open. It sounds like it would be easier using mediums.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so I needed to add a body to the split and put a medium on it. Do I need another for them to get through the winter? I assume I do. Bottom deep, two mediums?

Also, does the queen basically stop laying in the bottom and they fill that with honey, then the upper is for brood? I'm trying to get an idea of what they should look like before winter sets in. A full deep of honey and then a brood chamber? Two (or three or four) mixed boxes of each? Maybe I've just fallen asleep at this point in all my books, but I honestly can't remember what the setup should be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts