·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like thoughts on the following:
I just set up 4 new nuc's in deep bodies. I live in Florida
My questions are as follows:
* Do I need a second body for brood?
* If I use a second body for brood would a medium super be acceptable?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
A second deep is as good as moving them to a ten frame hive. Deep or medium is not very different in a nuc. I sold all my nucs with a deep and a medium for years. Double deeps would be easier to slide them into a 10 frame deep hive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary
I have transferred the nuc's. The bees are currently in an 8 frame deep super. Should I give them two deep brood supers when they fill the current frames and if so would it make sense to add a medium super instead of a deep. Thanks

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
That is like are red Ford trucks better than blue Dodges. They both get the job done! I like a deep with a medium because I swap upper and lower broods to reduce swarming. It is easier visually with two sizes. We take pictures at the workshops so I just look back and see when they were swapped. If I swapped supers every other inspection, about two months, it woud be the same with double deeps and not referring back to the photos. I already mix sizes because we get starter hives from David Miksa that are medium. The hives we build at the third workshop are one deep and one medium, so it does not matter anyway, anyhow. The bees certainly are not OCD about the difference. I am saying it is like hive color. Only the beekeeper cares!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts