Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We placed a medium super on roughly a month ago and gave the hive time to adjust. We checked repeatedly but did not see any comb being drawn out, and just noticed one of the deep supers is full of capped honey. We are not sure how to address this. It has impacted the number of bees in the hive. Our gut says to take the honey and put the empty deep supers back in, while removing the medium super entirely, is this a reasonable plan?

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
I have no idea where you are or your climate but where ever you are, there is lots of time to extract that deep and if you are in a dearth feed it back full if you need two deeps for wintering. The bees will winter on white sugar every bit as well as that valuable honey you have.

You need to check and see what is going on in the brood chamber! I have seen times I had no queen and two brood chambers jammed full of honey! If you have a queen does she have room to lay? More reason to extract honey. If the medium super was foundation, I have seen bees refuse to leave the brood boxes to work in that alien space above. Welcome to the forum and we need more information before we can be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We placed a medium super on roughly a month ago and gave the hive time to adjust. We checked repeatedly but did not see any comb being drawn out, and just noticed one of the deep supers is full of capped honey. We are not sure how to address this. It has impacted the number of bees in the hive. Our gut says to take the honey and put the empty deep supers back in, while removing the medium super entirely, is this a reasonable plan?
When you say 'deep super', do you really mean a brood box? What is the layout of your hive(s) and where are you located?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts