Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alot of deep frames I am making my daughter an all medium hive so she can lift the boxes easier. I was wondering if I could take the deep frames and just cut the 2 7/8 inches off (I think that's right measurement) and then install them like that. Or do I need to attach a bottom back to them. Would the bees attach them to the tops of the other bars in the other boxes or would they still keep bee space. Thanks

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
You have to cut the sidebars and comb regardless, and it would then be quite simple to make and nail plain bottom bars to the sidebars. Why risk potential problems later?

Bee space between frame bottoms and the tops of lower standard dimension frames of medium depth boxes is very close to minimum. If you do go that route make sure you do not reduce that space further by making the frames any deeper.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
You might consider using a single deep for the brood nest, then using mediums for the surplus honey. All inspections would just be lifting deep frames. Once the supers are put on over an excluder it is the same as lifting an empty medium until nectar starts coming in. When the flow starts inspections are simply looking in the top super to see if another super is needed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run 2 deeps then mediums above no queen excluder. That is my set up and how my hives are set up currently. I could keep that same set up for her hive as well since she wont really be moving the brood boxes. But my grandpa was a beekeeper, that's really how I started. When he passed away they got rid of his hives and tools. So anyways fast forward a few years and my uncles and mom where cleaning out my grandparents house and in the back of a shed they came across a few hundred deep frames never been used in the boxes still. They gave them to me but I dont have enough hives for this amount of deep frames. So I thought I could save money and cut down since I need frames for my mediums anyway. So really just wondering if the bottom of the frame was important for langstroth or if I could skip that step. I have a top bar and a warre hive so was thinking maybe they would not connect the frames together, but then again I have heard they do it in warre hives. I have not had this happen to me yet. I run all foundationless as it is, just wondering if anyone has used frames without bottom pieces for langstroth.

I have enough frames at this point that I could cut down and then cut down my deep boxes and go to an all medium hive set up. I have been thinking about that also for simplicity of everything inter changing and before I have to many hives established.

So basically just seeing if anyone has ran mediums without bottoms cut from deep frames. Or dont risk potential problems later like crofter said. Thanks

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
If the frames have never been used, so much the easier! The bottom bar does a lot to add strength and dimension stability to the frame. Between the side of the frame and inside of hive body plus side to side between frames also demand proper bee space to prevent bridging. If the endbars are merely dangling from the top bars....:kn:

You might get away with it.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Justin,

I run an all medium apiary for the benefit of my back and my age. If I were you I would just cut the side bars to the appropriate length and staple, nail, and glue the bottom bar to the bottom of the shortened side bars. Make sure that the appropriate height of medium frames is maintained. Add wax foundation or a starter strip of some sort and you'r in business.

Steve

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Old stiff frames that have been cut down with a table saw when empty of pollen and honey stand up to my extracter and 300+ rpms. Boxes get smaller with my oldest carbide blade. I finally admitted to aging and avoid throwing too many deep supers. I still draw deep frames on strong honey flows so I throw a percentage of them every year but at 68, it is less fun than it once was. For brood frames, if they are attached on three sides, no problem.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If I were you I would just cut the side bars to the appropriate length and staple, nail, and glue the bottom bar to the bottom of the shortened side bars. Make sure that the appropriate height of medium frames is maintained.
This is what I did when converting frames from deep to mediums. The only difference is that I nailed the bottom bars to the "inside" of the bottom of the side bars.

Cut the frame off at the proper medium length. The cut off sections will have the bottom bar with joints at each end. Next trim the joints off and the bottom bar will now fit right into the inside of the side bars. Hope this makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts