Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just starting out in beekeeping. I built 2 deeps and 3 mediums from the 10-Frame Langstroth bee hive plans and started out making 20 frames from the Dadant style frames plans. I assembled the frames and put 10 frames in one of the deeps. Is it normal to have an inch space leftover after all ten frames are installed? The inside width of the deep is 14 3/4" and the frame widths are 1 3/8. Did I do something wrong? Do I push all the frames to one side and have a 1" gap on the other? :scratch:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dlunzman/Beekeeping?feat=directlink

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just center all the frames but there is a bit less than an inch total in my supers.
If there is too much extra space I would just allow a little extra space between each of the frames. Some guys space 9 frames in their honey supers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just built some and the outside of the box was 16 1/4 so that would make the inside 14 3/4 so you are right on. Use 10 frames in your brood nest and make sure you do not leave any space between them. Center them up and leave the space on the outside. The extra space helps you get your first frame out. If you leave space between the frames the girls like to fill that gap with propolis.

After your honey supers are drawn out and you use them again next year you can space them apart with 9 frames if you like. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
When we started making our hives we to were shocked at the "left-overs".
Everyone kept harping on bee space, bee space, must be precise - and then justabout everyone makes it so there is tons of extra space around frames, over frames, below frames - especially when you have more than one stacked.

I made my last hive a little tighter at the top and bottom so it would remain within the bee space. Next time I may also adjust width (even if I have to add some extra thickness to the outsides to make it compatible). The bees do exactly what is expected with the 1/2" one either side and the extra space below and above - they build bur. If you pull the frames apart some you then have a mess of bur between.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
MikeJ said:
Everyone kept harping on bee space, bee space, must be precise...
I know a few beeks who shave their frames down just a bit and use 11 frames. However, after a few seasons, I find that 10 frames becomes a tight fit after they propolize everything.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I know a few beeks who shave their frames down just a bit and use 11 frames. However, after a few seasons, I find that 10 frames becomes a tight fit after they propolize everything.
Isn't it because of bur and overdrawn store cells?
That is what I see. I am hoping to work out at some point a precise bee spaced hive that will still be copatible with other hives (I know it probably has already been done) :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think there are some hives on the market and they could be built that use 7/8 instead of 3/4 inch stock. They use the same outside dimentions which shrinks the inside by and eighth on all sides. I was told by an old beek to make mine this way because I was starting with some rough cut lumber but I chickened out, but after seeing the extra space, if i had it to do over again I would go with 7/8.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use bee activity in that "extra" space as an indicator of need for more boxes. If they start filling that space with burr comb, I know it it time to add another box. I usually scrape out the burr comb, remove frame 9, replace with new frame, and move number 9 up into second box. That way bees have something to do in first box, and number 9 seems to prompt them to adopt the new box more quickly. Btw, it wouldn't take much to insert a piece of 1/4" luan on one or both sides of the box if the burr comb drives you crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts