Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone has tried this as I have not seen it mentioned on this forum. In my quest to find an easy way to decrystallize honey at a low temperature I built a simple unit. I used a 12 volt cooler/warmer. These are coolers that plug into a 12 volt power source such as a cigarette lighter or 12 volt converter. They can either cool or warm the contents of the cooler. I simply plug the power converter used to power the unit into a temperature controller that has a temperature probe run into the cooler. I then set the controller temperature to 110 degrees and it keeps the internal temperature between 110 max and 108 min( temperatures I have set, you can adjust it to anything you would like). I place my honey in the cooler overnight and have nice clear honey the next day. Temperature controllers can be found on eBay for as little as $14.00. Make sure you buy one that is for controlling heat or heat and cooling, not just cooling. Guess how I know that? You can do many bottles and different sizes at one time with one of these "coolers".

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
The small 12v coolers like you describe are often used for transporting queen cells from an incubator to the mating yard. I can easily see how it would work for a small quantity of jars. My incubator is large enough to hold a 5 gallon bucket so that is what I would use if my honey ever crystalized. I still have a jar from 2017 that is as liquid as the day it was made. I guess creamed honey is not in my future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts