Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started my hives (still new; Has only been a month) I kept hearing about screened bottom boards. So, this is what I ended up getting for my hives. Everyone said the debris board is for monitoring only and should be only used during that time.

However, I recently had my mentor come over to my house and he had advised that I put in the debris board and leave it there. His reasoning was because I had quite a lot of hive beetles. When we put the board in I could see quite a good amount of SHB that had hidden in the crevices of where the debris board is to be put in. Now that it is in place, they can't hide there. However, I am extremely worried about ventilation. It has been VERY hot here Nashville lately.

Now they seem to be congregating outside with their wings on full blast! Also, there NEVER was this many outside before. From what I heard this is because it is hot inside so they are just fanning themselves. But, I'm worried! May I be doing more harm than good for them?! They also look very lethargic outside (at least some of them)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
SBB is great for reducing mites but, I think it is more for ventilation. So the debris board should be IMHO be there for mite counting. Or freezing temp.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
You will probably find more small hive beetles on your board. Pull it out and see. I have made mine into a tray of oil to drown the buggers. The beetles will run anywhere the bees cannot imprison them. Is there more square inches to escape guard bees with the board in or out? Are the grooves and bottom board bigger than the debris board?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mentor put the debris board in (he initially asked if I had just a regular bottom board, but I obviously didn't so that is why he just put the debris board in) With the debris board in, there aren't many places that they can hide. Because when he started to put the board in, you could see tons of SHB running all over the place. Of course I killed what I could :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts