Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is there a dearth on in northern NY? Watertown area? Went into the hive to to sprinkle them with some powdered sugar and they were ohnery. Before the sugar, as soon as I pulled a frame from the bottom box one of them hot right out and zapped my forearm. Then as soon as I started sprinkling the sugar, the got just plain mean and another bee tried to go up my nose and she got me right on the inside of my nose. A couple chases me for several yards while I let them calm down a bit. Then somewhere in the mix one got up my pant leg or went right through my jeans.

Is there a dearth on?

Does powdered sugar dusting really tick them off?

Oh, and I think (but not really sure) there is a queen cup on the frame I pulled. Any chance of a swarm this time of year or it there a coup taking place?

Other than that it looks like everything is going great.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Dearth can vary from latitude to latitude, state to state, county to county and year to year. Weather proximity to water, agricultural conditions are all factors that play a role in it. I would say you are most assuredly is a significant slow down.

However, your description sounds as though there is something going on with the hive more than a dearth. If they are normally gentle bees than this would be out of character.

They may be queenless which can agitate a hive. There may be a varmint pestering them, A skunk, or raccoon.

And last but not least, WEAR YOUR VEIL! were you properly prepared you would have been able to finish the task, and inspect the hive, you may have found the reason they are so testy.

Don't let your testies over rule good judgment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I've been a little over confident. I've been trying to go low profile with the bee hive but my respect of the bees now outweighs my concern of the neighbors.

I saw uncapped brood on that frame. "C-shaped" larvae, I think is what we call it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
larva the size of a grain of rice can be 4 days old or more. meaning you had a queen 7 days prior to seeing it. it is doubtful that they would become aggressive that quickly. I would look for underlying problems like robbing, or a varmint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts