Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the midwest, is yellow and white sweet clover the last big nectar source before the dearth? I have some BeeBee trees that I started from seeds that I am putting in as a long term plan for some nectar during dearth, anyone have other plant suggestions along those lines? I have 33 acres, mixed woods, prairie, and pasture, so I can make more of an impact than just the little patch in the garden.

JC

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Nectar is still coming in, not a flow persay... but Im still seeing new comb....anytime you get a bit of rain in June/July there will be nectar, unless it gets really dry for a couple of weeks. august is truly a dearth for us. Then goldenrod, asters, golden honey, snakeroot, etc start in early september....they are usually more of a pollen source bc the ground is too dry.

Golden rain tree is a good late blooming tree, just ended, but invasive. Crepe myrtle, plenty of wildflowers like cone, blackeyed susan, thistle..etc, those are good for finches too. Theres also vines, wild grape, ivy invasive ones. The vines are just about to bloom here, the bees work them hard bc theres nothing available

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>In the midwest, is yellow and white sweet clover the last big nectar source before the dearth?

Chicory just started blooming and will bloom until a hard freeze in the fall. Goldenrod will start soon and will last until a frost. If the rain continues there will be no dearth.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Yellow and white sweet clover is still blooming, I look at the plants and there are still making new flowers. Crown vetch still blooming

Lots of white clover in people’s yards.

As long as we keep getting rain :)

Around here there can be a good flow with wild mints (mountain mint or thin leaf mint) right before the dearth.

You can plant buckwheat late for a late bloom (but it need rain) also might try alfalfa for a later bloom I have a small patch as a test.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Things are blooming here like there's no tomorrow. There must be a pretty good flow going. If Stone City is where I think it is (by the Wapsi outside of Anamosa?) you must be in about the same bloom stage as we are here in Clinton County. There's a stretch of highway here I drive a few miles of it every morning and afternoon. It has very large ditches before the ag fields and it is 100% packed with vetch, chicory, and white/yellow sweet clover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts