Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd yr keeper.

Situation: I've got a hive constructed of two deeps. Sitting above these is a shallow box, no frames. Used this shallow as a spacer while feeding sugar water early spring. Was not able to check on this hive for an extended period. Just visited it and found as I tried to open the top that the bees have built a substantial amount of beautiful free-forming comb attached to, and hanging from, the inner cover. It was covered with bees. It was a quick peek as I wasn't sure what to do with the situation, so I don't know if the comb is being used for honey storage and/or if there is brood rearing going on in this comb. The bee population is really strong in this hive.

My plan was to put a honey super on top, but with this comb attached to the inner cover, I guess I'd have to break the comb off the inner cover and then discard it(?) in order to put a super on and re-cover(?). Other options? I thought maybe placing a super underneath the shallow spacer and leave the comb attached to the inner cover alone(?).

Another option I guess is to just leave it alone for the season and let them continue to build in and utilize this space void as they already have started...I figure in order to at least check the below deeps I can lift the shallow with lid/comb off at the same time to get below.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Another idea, cut away the comb and rubberband, or tie with fishing line, sections of the comb in frames. You can then give those back to the girls and super as planned.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Your going to want to remove it because I think that would cause you problems down the line for sure! However just because you remove it you don't have to discard it! If there is honey or brood in it, which there most likely is both, just carefully remove the comb from the inner cover and put it into an empty frame, hold it in place with a few rubberbands. The bee's will repair any damage and will continue to build on it until the frame is full.

·
Registered
760 Posts
must respect the bee space!!!!

i not really sure why or who thought of this idea but its kinda dumb .....

ive seen lots of folks put a jar or a can right on top of the frames and then put a empty box on top then put an inner cover on then the top???

WHY ?????

the bees now have this HUGE empty box to play in ???

and then they think that its so that they can feed better ??? but yet they will feed the same if you do it right.....

after you put your bees in ----and frames ---PUT ON the inner cover

most have a hole in the center -

then set the feeder jar,can,pail,etc on top of the inner cover over the hole so that the bees cant come up into the empty space

then put on the spare box and lid

this will solve this mess i keep hearing about

with that said

what i would do is not scrape the comb off -- just screw the inner cover to the body and put a bottem on it and use it for a bait box

best of luck

·
Registered
429 Posts
I feed w/ baggies. I have a few boxew bade w/ holes in the bottom like a solid inner cover, and I lay the baggies on the side and slit them. never had a problem w/ them trying to build comb up there, but I have had it when I tried without the bottom in it.
carefully cut and install it into frames and give it back so they can finish what they started.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You could let them fill it with honey and then harvest the honey and the wax. They probably have some brood there but will backfill with honey as it emerges and they push momma down. They might very well swarm on you though in the meantime.

For that, (swarming) you could split the deeps and open up the broodnest in the lower box by adding combs and/or a super there, which may or may not work to convince them to stay home.

You could remove that box by sawing some frame wire between the boxes and using an escape board to move the bees out. You could even use that frame wire now and super underneath the wild comb box or open up the broodnest in the top deep and then put the wild comb back on. For the most part they probably won't reattach the combs to the frame tops, especially if you scrape them.

This isn't too big of a mess. You just know what to expect, honey in those combs and swarming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts