Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
First answer why the hive died, then decide. If not AFB, I would extract it for consumption, wash - wash/clean frames and honeycomb (no bee bread or pollen left in place), set it sun for a few hours, both sides, freeze until needed. Drawn comb is an asset and honey is yummy, IMO. I do not move honey from one hive to another except when making a split.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I lost my last hive just before Spring. I had seen what looked to be promising activity in mid February but on review of the video I took I'm now convinced it was robbing. When I got into the hive in late March there was quite a bit capped honey in the upper deep but only a handful of dead bees. I blame the failure on my neglect but the 22 lbs of delicious honey I extracted will remind me to do better with the next attempt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I lost my last hive just before Spring. I had seen what looked to be promising activity in mid February but on review of the video I took I'm now convinced it was robbing. When I got into the hive in late March there was quite a bit capped honey in the upper deep but only a handful of dead bees. I blame the failure on my neglect but the 22 lbs of delicious honey I extracted will remind me to do better with the next attempt.
One of my hives was super vigorous in February too, but then later died. On inspection last weekend I found that there was a ton of brood all over, and the bees were spread out all over the combs apparently trying to keep them warm. When the weather got super cold again the very next week (stupid weather!) that was the end. I used to think that hive was super awesome for being so ambitious, but apparently the tortoise may have won again, the rabbit started too early.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like you should find a local beekeeper mentor to advise you on overwintering procedures. Rule number one never leave honey supers on a hive after the fall season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts