Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Northern Illinois, we're *almost* at spring....saw my first dandelion yesterday, woodland violets just starting, not too much in terms of nectar flow yet (maples froze, pussy willows got rained out).

One of my two Ktbh's died in our extreme cold this past winter. And in preparing to utilize the hive for a new walk-away split from my survivor stock (hopefully in the next two weeks - we will get warmer!)....I found black mold in the back of the hive near the floorboard (where sidewall and floor meet). Knowing mold abhors sunlight, I've left the hive open during the brightest part of the day in order to kill it off. (Removed the bars and left the lid open).

Other than killing the mold with light and air - I'm not sure what else I can/should do. I will not treat the hive with any chemicals - and while vinegar does do some good....not sure if it's necessary for me to do anything. Do I leave it for the new girls to treat? It'll be behind the follower board for a long while yet and out of the reach of the house bees.

Suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
Don't worry too much. I'm a Lang user, I used frames with comb from 3 dead outs to start my 10 new packages this year. They had mold all over them with dead bees in the cells of the comb. The new bees cleaned them out with no problems. Got rid of the mold and mildew and have all kinds of brood in them now. The only thing that you should do is empty out the dead bees as much as possible to give them a head start on cleaning up. Put your split in there and let them handle the house work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Putty knife, scrape, spray a bit of Clorox mixed with water, air out. The chlorine will dissipate as you air out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the tips.....propane torch is possibility - although we're having such a rainy period here that I'm not sure the wood would actually scorch! The mold will laugh at the torch!

The diluted Clorox is one I've used before - just didn't know how well the bleach would air out. If it stops raining long enough to get in there in daylight hours, I'll give that a go. But I know the first dry day I'd better split the other hive into this one - for they are preparing to swarm. And there's much work to be done in the hive with cleaning out comb, so I'd rather have house bees busy with nursery duty than cleaning! But maybe that's just because I'm tired of cleaning my house and gardens and barns from this really really really harsh winter! (Glad to be out!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Thank you all for the tips.....propane torch is possibility - although we're having such a rainy period here that I'm not sure the wood would actually scorch! The mold will laugh at the torch!

The diluted Clorox is one I've used before - just didn't know how well the bleach would air out. If it stops raining long enough to get in there in daylight hours, I'll give that a go. But I know the first dry day I'd better split the other hive into this one - for they are preparing to swarm. And there's much work to be done in the hive with cleaning out comb, so I'd rather have house bees busy with nursery duty than cleaning! But maybe that's just because I'm tired of cleaning my house and gardens and barns from this really really really harsh winter! (Glad to be out!)
This weather in the Midwest is absolutely insane at this point. Start ringing the church bells, it might get to 60 this weekend! And it's only supposed to be 35 the next 3-4 nights.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top