Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six hives one bit the dust. Some how I screwed up the amount of feed I thought they had as the hive only had four frames out of 20 with any stores left. Other fives hives are doing well after the long, colddddd winter we had here in Cleveland.

Last year I lost one hive and found vacuming would get the dead bees out of the comb but I lost a lot of comb that way. Can I leave the dead bees in the cells and have the new bees just clean them out? I don't want to spend time and damage comb I don't have too.

Hoping to jump to nine hives this summer. I actually broke even financially last year with my honey. Just 80 more lbs of fall honey to sell.

Thanks for the help all! Great source for info!

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
On old brood comb you can use a air compressor and nozzle and the dead bodies will shoot out like rockets. Almost if they come back to life. ;-) I wouldn't do this on new comb, only black/brown stuff. Vacuum doesn't work well for me, often tears up the comb, even old brood comb, it will suck up the loose bees but most are still left in cells.

I removed the bees because they start to mold a bit and the smell is unpleasant and it doesn't take long to blow them out. I had something like 6 frames full of bees from a club members starve-out, literally every cell had a bee in it, really a shame, they harvested too much honey for such a large cluster.

If theres just a few hear or there I wouldn't worry too much, you can just knock out the loose ones and it will be fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think of the compressor. Just hit them with air and they shoot out? I will have to give it a try! I would say 70 percent of the frames have bees in them. It was a huge cluster. I think they did go in way to strong and wiped out the honey cause I swear the boxes were packed in the fall.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured as much. I have this picture of having my face plastered with wax, honey and bee parts otherwise. :) ha ha ha

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'll have to do the air compressor near my garage. I put the dead bees in my compost pile normally but they me bee to scattered if I air compressor them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts