Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a very large swarm and put in a 10 frame deep box. The swarm was probably 6 lbs. or more. Added a frame feeder and put in probably 2 qts. syrup. the hive had 2 frames of comb which was filled with syrup. Most of the syrup was still in the feeder. The walls of the hive, frames and all the bees were coated with syrup. I have collected a lot of swarms but this one stomps me. Swarm too large? Too much syrup? entrance too small? Any ideas?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I caught a very large swarm and put in a 10 frame deep box. The swarm was probably 6 lbs. or more. Added a frame feeder and put in probably 2 qts. syrup. the hive had 2 frames of comb which was filled with syrup. Most of the syrup was still in the feeder. The walls of the hive, frames and all the bees were coated with syrup. I have collected a lot of swarms but this one stomps me. Swarm too large? Too much syrup? entrance too small? Any ideas?
This can not be the whole story.Syrup poured on the bees?Hive taken up and shaken?Something else had to happen for the walls and all bees to be covered with syrup.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did carefully move the hive to another location but was a careful. they were alive a couple days! can't figure it out?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
>Is it possible there were too many bees for a 10 frame single box with entrance reducer

Only if they could not get out, ie reduced entrance blocked with sticky dead bees.

Check your feeder, does it leak?

>I did carefully move the hive to another location but was a careful. they were alive a couple days! can't figure it out?

I suspect the move was the cause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts