Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, did a hive inspection today,hive was not quite right, and found no queen. There was no eggs or larva except for few capped cells, and some capped drone cells. I found 1 queen cell. Question is should i order a replacement queen or wait and see what happend with the queen cell. the hive is a carniolan hive also have an italian hive that is doing great.I could replace a frame of brood from strong hive and give it to the queenless hive, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Certainly the choice is yours. You might entertain the opportunity to order a new queen. This grants a chance to modify/change the hive characteristics and genetics to an area of interested improvements.

·
Registered
507 Posts
By the time you ordered a new queen and she arrived, your queen cell may very well hatch. I'd let'em raise their own queen if I knew I had a capped queen cell already.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You're queen cell might produce, good locally raised genetics. You won't know unless you give her a try.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It is late in the season. You sure you want to wait another month before you have a decent laying queen? As far as "local genetics" go -- half the genes are coming from your egg -- where did the dead queen come from originally? She is also going to be mating with countless drones. Is this an emergency queen cell?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'd leave them alone, they know what they are doing.there is probably no nector comming in anyway.it also lets them out breed mites if you have them.
when its time for the new queen to start laying all the cells will be ready for eggs.going into winter you will have a lot of young bees.:popcorn:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts