Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered two packages of bees but one of the queens was dead.

When I checked there seemed to more than one bee in the queen package. The corks were still in place.
I thought this very odd.

Any ideas?
E7B53486-E060-4DAB-838E-AF50AC4DCF19.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,122 Posts
I can't quite see the queen in your photo but if you're sure she's the one that's dead then contact your supplier immediately and they should get you replacement sent asap.

It's also fairly normal for queens to ship with attendants. I rarely see a queen with attendants in a package of bees but it's likely what the supplier had available, or just how they do things.

Did you get them installed? Were all the bees in the cage dead?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot were dead and smelled bad but I installed it. All the bees in the queen cage are dead. I think it’s at least two bees in there. I ordered two 3 lb packages and the other queen was fine. I’ll be able to get a better idea after the package empties.

I did return the dead queen package to the hive after installing. I was concerned the bees would all end up in the other newly installed hive. They still seemed attracted to the queen package.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,122 Posts
Great idea leaving the dead queen. As long as you can get a new queen in the next few days it should avoid drifting to the other colony. Eventually the bees will know something is wrong and that other hive will sure smell a lot better with a laying queen, vs their dead one.

Did you contact the supplier? If they take care of you we'd love to know who you used.

I ended up with some packaged from Koehnen this year and one of them had a dead queen. It happens. They shipped one out the very next day and I had her even before the others were released.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,122 Posts
Wondering if I have to order a queen does anyone know who has them now?
You really shouldn't need to. The supplier should stand by their package.

If they don't, don't buy from them again and look around for available queens. I know most places are backed up but you could call around locally. I think OHB was catching up on packages and may have some. You may also try craigslist. I always see a few here and there listed from smaller producers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some times a package will have a queen in with the general population and they won’t feed the caged queen or her attendants. Be patient, check the hive in a few days for eggs.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Great idea leaving the dead queen.
Yeah, they'll stick around even if the queen has been dead a while.

I was running a queen bank one year and didn't use one of the queens, forgot about it to be honest. About September I pulled it apart to store the equipment and found one caged queen, dead, with a pitiful small handful of bees still trying to tend it. :cry:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They covered the queen cage when I pulled it out so they were still trying to attend her.
The supplier has quickly said they would next day air one to me.

What confused me was the two or more bees being in the queen cage. I’m new at this but I had never seen this before. I was under the impression that queens are always alone in the cage.

I have no idea what the white stuff is. Both the corks were in place. My assumption is that it’s the candy plug but it does seem large. Looks like there might be a bee inside it.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,122 Posts
Yup, normal to ship with attendants to feed and care for the queen. But rare for a package.

And that's great they took care of you, I assumed they would.

You remove the cork on the candy side. It's a soft candy so only takes them 3 days to eat it all. It also serves as food for the bees inside the cage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They covered the queen cage when I pulled it out so they were still trying to attend her.
The supplier has quickly said they would next day air one to me.

What confused me was the two or more bees being in the queen cage. I’m new at this but I had never seen this before. I was under the impression that queens are always alone in the cage.

I have no idea what the white stuff is. Both the corks were in place. My assumption is that it’s the candy plug but it does seem large. Looks like there might be a bee inside it.
It looks like it's spilled sugar water? It's taking up the third compartment of the queen cage and it does look like there's an imbeded bee in it. The supplier probably sprays the cages with sugar water before shipping and for some reason it pooled in that area of the queen cage or the feed can spilled or leaked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts