Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I requeened two hives this past Friday (three days ago). When I checked this morning they'd chewed through the candy and it appeared both queens were released. But then when I looked at one of the queen cages there were three dead bees in it, one of which had a shiny thorax. I couldn't tell from the size if it was the queen because these new ones were on the smallish side to begin with, and these dead bees were already dried up and shrunken making size comparisons difficult. Obviously I won't know for sure until I check for eggs in another week or so, but this has me concerned. That thorax just looked too shiny to be a worker.

Any thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi TonyL - I also live in Springfield, although my apiary is on land we have in Murfreesboro, TN. I understand your concern...re-queening is often a cause for anxiety for us beekeepers. It is common to find some of the bees that accompany a queen in a queen cage dead from time to time. Without seeing what you had there...I suppose what I'd do if I were you, would be to re-check the hive in a day or two and see if there are eggs present. If so, then you know things are good. If you can't find any eggs in another day or two, then it may be time to order another queen. Please keep us updated...and best of luck to you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Omie,

Yes, a picture would be good but I didn't take one and I didn't keep the dead bee. My mistake.

Fred,

Glad to hear from another beekeeper in Springfield. And thanks for your advice. My plan is to wait until Thursday or Friday and look for eggs. If I see none I'll probably get another queen from Ed Johnson in Goodlettsville—if he has any left.

By the way Fred, do you know about the new beekeeping association in Robertson Co.? Maybe we've seen one another at the meetings if you've attended.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Fred,
Glad to hear from another beekeeper in Springfield. And thanks for your advice. My plan is to wait until Thursday or Friday and look for eggs. If I see none I'll probably get another queen from Ed Johnson in Goodlettsville—if he has any left. By the way Fred, do you know about the new beekeeping association in Robertson Co.? Maybe we've seen one another at the meetings if you've attended.
Hello again Tony...I have not been able to attend the Robertson Co. Beekeepers meetings just yet. In fact, I've only been here in Springfield for a couple months. I have been very active in the Rutherford County Beekeepers Association (Murfreesboro) in the past and hope to attend the Robertson Co. Beekeepers some in the future. I did teach the Beginner Beekeeping Class at the Tennessee State Beekeepers Convention last year at Tennessee Tech University, so perhaps you saw me there?

Anyway...I will try to get in touch with you or perhaps you can send me an email and we can talk further. I know that there is rain in the forecast toward the weekend. I'd check that hive again in the next day or two if I were you...you might also give Ed Johnson a "heads up" to let him know you may be needing a queen. I hope it all works out. God bless!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts