Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to set up a trap out today at one of the schools in the local district and saw bees removing these from the hive. In 30 minutes I saw about 15-20 of them being removed. Is this something normal? is it something I should be concerned with? Do I need to leave this one alone? Maybe call the state and get them involved?

I just know I dont want to bring any kind of disease to my bee yard.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds like really hygienic bees, something I would want to use as breeder bees, if their other traits are good. I have colonies that do that and I mark them for breeders providing their temperament is good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the hygene thing bees do my question was/is: why are/were they dying and the bees needing to clean them out of the hive?

Since I posted this on 4/21/14, I found out one of the guys I work with in the district went over there after I left work(took off a half a day) on thursday and sprayed them with something. even as of today 4/24 he still has not admitted it to me, though he stood there while I was calling other beeks and even the state extention office trying to figure out what is going on, my supervisor told me he did and doesnt want to tell me because he was going to help me with the trap out.

Even more interesting is the door the bees are were going behind the jamb on and into the wall was being replaced by contractors and they seald the hole and the bees found 4 more ways to get out. when they THOUGHT they had them seald in they installed the door and frame We get a call today saying the bees have taken over the classroom of the wall they are in.

Now the bees have been in there since last summer and this is actually the third or fourth time the bees keep setting up house in this area, just finding different ways in, way before I became a beek. All the other beeks have told them the wall needs to be torn out to really effectivly get rid of them.

Thats not gonna work as this is a historical building. so I talked them into a trap out, at least I can build population in one of my swarm hives or start a nuc.

one of my other co worker asked me to get my vac and just get the bees out of the classroom...Not gonna happen Y'all let the contractors spary residual insecticides all of the bees and the wall/entrance hole...I aint taking the chance on them getting in my equipment

Now I am sitting back being stupid when they ask me a question my answer is I DONT KNOW ASK SO AND SO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts