Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered six packages and when I picked them up from the post office 2 were completely dead (not a single live bee). I contacted the supplier and they told me to file a claim with the post office. Has anyone ever successfully filed a claim with the post office for dead packages and actually been reimbursed?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Sorry for your luck, how are the others doing?

Sounds like a crappy supplier too, file a claim with the post office? "not my problem, thx for the $400"

Who'd you order these packages from, exactly?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I ordered a queen from Kelly bees, sent them a photo of the screwed up queen, and they provided me with a new one.

No insurance, just good customer service.

Who did OP order from?

·
Registered
778 Posts
A few years ago I received a dead package from Kelly's and they reimbursed me because they said they were not trusting their shipper (UPS) that year because they had had more than a few arrive dead.

I second the good customer service, but they are a major supplier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I ordered six packages and when I picked them up from the post office 2 were completely dead (not a single live bee). I contacted the supplier and they told me to file a claim with the post office. Has anyone ever successfully filed a claim with the post office for dead packages and actually been reimbursed?
USPS Changes for the 2021 Bee Season
In our annual kick-off meeting with USPS we were told the USPS wants all bee packages sent via Parcel Select. USPS will no longer allow bees shipments to be classified as Priority Mail.

Why the change? The USPS classifies Priority Mail as only mail that can go on aircraft. Due to new rules from the FAA it is virtually impossible to ship bees with any freight company this year. There really is no difference between Priority Main and Parcel Select since bee packages have only been allowed to ship via ground transport for over 75 years.

Will the insurance still cover a loss? Yes, USPS will still honor any shipping problem that involves a loss. This classification should allow a broader insurance loss allowance. USPS will not honor insurance claims when shipped thru Priority Mail.

What is deemed as a loss? The USPS loss is done as follows, if the dead bees evenly cover the bottom of the cage equals 1 inch or greater, then a claim can be filed at USPS.com It should be noted that most claims are due to the bee package being delivered and stuffed into a HOT courier’s vehicle.

How do you successfully receive your bee package? When you receive a shipping notification, you will want to call your post office and let them know your bee shipment is on the way. You will want to give them your phone number to call you when they come into the post office. They can call you on a early morning or even on the weekend. This will help ensure your bee package is less stressed. Remember, if you let a courier deliver to your home the chances are really high for your package to over heat and die.

What do you do if there is significant loss in the bee cage? The good news is that we have less than 2% of our shipments have a problem. You can request the postal official to scan the bee package as damaged in shipping. This will ensure you will receive 100% of your money back within 10 days. Now, with this said, there are many postal offical’s that do not know the USPS rules. All of our packages are inspected by the USPS officials prior to shipping out our bees. This inspection is critical as now the custody is transferred to USPS.

What if a postal official refuses to scan the bee package? You can still file a insurance claim through USPS.com. You will need to supply pictures with your claim and the details of the loss. Remember, the USPS claim review wants all the facts and pictures to pay your claim.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other 4 are doing great. I don't really want to out the company because so many different things could happen from their bee yard to the post office.
I ordered a queen from Kelly bees, sent them a photo of the screwed up queen, and they provided me with a new one.

No insurance, just good customer service.

Who did OP order from?
I don't want to out the supplier because anything could have happened once it left the supplier.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Can you give us the initials? You lost $400, and they told you to get lost, and deal with the USPS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The other 4 are doing great. I don't really want to out the company because so many different things could happen from their bee yard to the post office.

I don't want to out the supplier because anything could have happened once it left the supplier.
If you received those packages this morning it means they were locked up all weekend in some type of USPS container or truck. Most suppliers I have ever dealt with ship on Monday's to prevent something like this from happening. I was really nervous about ordering package bees this year because of all the problems with USPS & Covid and now I am really nervous about my order. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you are able to get reimbursed for your loss. Even if you get the money back I'm sure you had already made plans for those bees which you no longer have.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can you give us the initials? You lost $400, and they told you to get lost, and deal with the USPS.
I have to agree with you. Any good supplier would care and not push the buck on others.

I've even got family members where I'd seen their whole life 'the blame game'. And when you see people blaming others, it doesn't take long to figure out its better to steer clear of such behavior. Trouble always follows.

Salutes to Kelly. If they cared about putting out good bees, that makes me more interested in their company. What state are they based out of?

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you received those packages this morning it means they were locked up all weekend in some type of USPS container or truck. Most suppliers I have ever dealt with ship on Monday's to prevent something like this from happening. I was really nervous about ordering package bees this year because of all the problems with USPS & Covid and now I am really nervous about my order. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you are able to get reimbursed for your loss. Even if you get the money back I'm sure you had already made plans for those bees which you no longer have.
I couldn't help but wonder if part of the shipping issues are partly influenced by companies that have been exploiting the covid to take more business. They would very easily be able to lean on the postal services and others to 'ship our stuff first. We get first dibs', while the small business market is eaten up by them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to agree with you. Any good supplier would care and not push the buck on others.

I've even got family members where I'd seen their whole life 'the blame game'. And when you see people blaming others, it doesn't take long to figure out its better to steer clear of such behavior. Trouble always follows.

Salutes to Kelly. If they cared about putting out good bees, that makes me more interested in their company. What state are they based out of?
Kelly's was bought out by Mann Lake several months back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was a Georgia supplier but I just can't bring myself to put there name out. It would have been nice for them to reimburse me or supply me with 2 more packages and then they could go after the post office.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
you lost $400, and they told you to get lost, and deal with the USPS
that is how the USPS system works... IE

You can request the postal official to scan the bee package as damaged in shipping. This will ensure you will receive 100% of your money back within 10 days.
When you show up at the post office and have dead bees, your supposed to start the proses.
now
UPS doesn't insure bee packages, so in the past you dealt with the supplier... UPS stopped allowing syrup cans and that caused issues, and now only ships if it can make it in 1 day by ground.
There new "fire safe" aircraft can design (to limit the risk of a lithium battery fire) killed a lot of packages in 2020
the no air = no fire concept didn't work out so well for bees and some one never thought it threw

It would have been nice for them to reimburse me or supply me with 2 more packages and then they could go after the post office.
Now your not wrong.. but your bees were payed for and placed in the USPS care, so you beef is with them, not the suplyer...
Yes maybe better customer service would be in order, but its a sellers market... and your would need to submit to them all the same info you need to submit to the post office.. why should they get caught up in the middles.

people order on line to save a few bucks..... some times its worth it to pay the $5-10 extra and pick them up in person from a local that's trucking them in to a local drop

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
OP, why don't you try contacting the seller and threaten to go public, say something like:

"here's a thread I made on beesource, if you don't give me a full replacement, I'm going to tell everyone what you did on Beesource".

Depends on how badly and quickly you need the $400, but that's quite a bit of cash, and you made a big purchase from them.

The least they could do is respect your large purchase, and offer some sort of remedy. There's no good reason for bees shipped from Georgia dying en route to TN.

Either they didn't pack them correctly, didn't label them right, or it was a bad bunch of bees. If it was USPSs fault, wouldn't they all have died? ...they were presumably all on the exact same shipment, handled by the same USPS employees, why would 2/6 die, but the others are in great health?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a buddy order a dozen packages from a Georgia supplier and they all arrived last Friday... DEAD.
The story progresses the same as the OP. Basically thanks for your biz but not my problem.

My guess based on the OP experience, it was the same company.
What happened to good ole' fashion customer service... seems as if most of the large corps in the bee industry overlook this because there are few suppliers out there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think at this point it is correct to not name the supplier. USPS is responsible, and I expect they will pay. That is part of the deal, the bees are insured.

If another driver collides with your car, do you insist that they pay you "now" before it goes through the insurance company? There is a process to follow, same for the bees.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
While this sucks, it’s what happens when bees are shipped. You need to file an insurance claim through USPS. Ideally the supplier would give you instructions on how to do that, but so can the post office clerk. Follow the process.
Next year buy from a local supplier.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Think this might have something to do with it?

The new overtime restrictions now leave loads sitting in trucks or on the dock.
What used to take 3 days now takes 5 and just hope there isn't a weekend in there.

During the 70s and80s it was common practice to ship pkgs (and day old chicks)through the post office. My local postal workers did a fantastic job and I would often get a call at 5:30 am to tell me my bees or chicks were in.
The chicks would come in on a Sun and the call would come from the regional distribution center.
For some reason the pkgs came to the local office.I remember one call where the worker politely asked if I could come asap so they could sort the rest of the mail.
I got there and one of the pkgs had a leak and they had left the roller basket on the dock behind the office,my pkgs on top covered by a layer of bees.The dock worker shrugged and said " yeah,it happens,no big deal "

To echo others. Next time buy from the local who makes the drive himself.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts