Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to check to make sure my hive was doing good on honey. I lifted it and it was good. I knocked on the hive to see if I could hear any life...nothing. I noticed some stuff on the outside of the hive so I finally decided to pop it open and this is what I found. Any ideas on what it could be?

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry for your loss, this is a disheartening sight, I've been there.
Clear evidence of nosema, but could be exacerbated by high mite load. Have you taken mite counts last fall? High mite loads will leave small white specks inside empty brood comb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was kinda thinking nosema but didn't wanna think that and be wrong. I kinda think there was a heavy mite load. I treated for them and thought I was good but I was looking at the bottom board and it looked like quite a few. I didn't check inside the cells though. So is there a way to rid the hive of the nosema spores or is it best to just get rid of the hive all together now?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Clear evidence of nosema
What's the evidence? Are you referring to poop stains? It's my understanding that dysentery is not a sign of nosema, although it can/is associated with nosema. But dysentery can also be caused by stress, bad food, and I'm sure there's other causes as well.

Fishinguy,.
if you have access to a 400x microscope you can do a self diagnosis for nosema spores. Or maybe someone in your local bee club has a microscope and can do it for you. You can also collect some bees and send a sample to the USDA Bee Lab in Belstville.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts