Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my girls have been a little testier than usual. Someone suggested that they might be being visited at night by raccoons or skunks. I do have both of those around here. I came back from being away for the weekend and found a juvenile possum dead about 5 feet from the hive.

Do possums try to get at the hive like skunks? Could a young hive of bees kill a possum?? :scratch:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I venture to say that an opossum would certainly try. More than likely,,,,the juvenile met up with an adult raccoon at the hive. (or skunK) Contrary to what Disney would have you believe,,,,Raccoons can be vicious predators:eek:
OOORRRRR The opossum forgot his epi pen:D

rick SoMd

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree with what WVabees said, I would put money on it getting into a raccoon. As a **** hunter, I have seen a large ****, about 25 pounds, tangle up with my 85 pound bluetick, and it could have gotten bad had I not stepped in. ***** have lots of teeth and lots of aggression when need be, and I wouldnt doubt they would take out a oppossom if they came to the same dinner table.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't I see some sort of damage from a Raccoon?

I know they can be nasty! I used to have one as a pet. (hunters shot the mom and talked my mom into taking the kits) It was all fun and games till he grew up and decided that he would have whatever you were eating..... THEN, he moved outside to the neighbor's tree.

This is not good news for my girls! :(
Can they take care of themselves as long as they aren't knocked over?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found this back in March

It was alive and appeared to be stuck. It took quite a bit of prodding and pushing to get it out. I didn't see any evidence of damage. So maybe I got it soon enough, or it was just looking for a warm place.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think a couple stings on his nose and or his hands would discourage him fairly quickly. Not sure even a big **** could knock over a hive with honey and propolis together.

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I would get the dead opossum and have him skinned and tanned. Make a tool belt out of him and use his pouch to hold my hive tool.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
***** tend to kill dogs by getting them out in water, getting on top of the dogs head, and drowning the dog.

If I remember right, 10 or 11 stings per pound of body weight is supposed to be a lethal dose. A baby possum may have tried to play dead instead of getting away from stinging bees, and ended up taking too many stings.

And then again it may have gotten lost from mama, and was too young to make it on its own, and it was just coincidence that it died near your hive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts