Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. We just started this year and have two hives. They both seemed fine, but yesterday I noticed that one has dead larvae out with the dead bees that get pushed out every once in a while. I'm in Oregon, and we had some unusually hot weather up until a couple of weeks ago and then we got slammed with cold. Could this have anything to do with it? Is it normal to have dead larvae? Thanks!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Yes, after a sudden change in temps sometimes some larvae dies and they haul it out. Also, sometimes it's drone brood and in the fall (is it fall there?) they haul it out because they decide it's too late in the year. Is it nice white brood?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it fall here? I guess so. I grew up in Alberta and fall was that not so warm bit before -20 and snow rolled in... here it is a little less defined. But yes, it is nice white perfectly formed brood... almost made me wonder if it would taste good. almost.
Ok, thanks. I thought that might be why, but I would rather ask dumb questions than make mistakes. Thanks for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts