Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
beetle larva.jpg

Okay, figured that'd get someone's attention.

Here's the scenario. 2 hives out in the sun. Booming strong hives. It's been in the mid-70's here for the last couple weeks. Well, last night, the temps dropped to 30 degrees. I got my tomatos and corn covered in low hoop tunnels, so they were saved. As I was checking on the plants, I walked past the bee hives and though I saw something like canteloupe seeds. Got closer and realized they were beetle larva, and all pretty much the same size.

I didn't realize I had a beetle problem in this hive. I hadn't checked in a couple weeks, but I had put a pollen pattie in there a while back, and they were eating it fast. Everything else looked fine and I saw very few beetles in the hive. It was too cold to check this morning.

My guess is that the larva got cold, and went to search out the hive or the ground or something and as soon as they made it out of the actual hive body, they froze. There were none on the ground.

Any thoughts?

Rob.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same thing a few weeks ago. Check your bottom board, they were living in the debris that had accumulated on the bottom over the winter, luckily that was the only place I found them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts