Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three hives close together in my yard. All of a sudden, I am seeing a lot of dead drones in front of just one of them. This is something new to me. Does anybody have any suggestions about what might be going on?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Perhaps drones robbing? Are you sure they are drones? A dead bee on the ground after a day is pretty messed up.
Put something under the entrance daily to catch the dead bees to see if it is a daily thing or a "one and done" event. If large numbers of dead bees occur daily, you can make sure they are just drones. However, I would bet there are workers, as well.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I had a colony whose queen became a drone layer; after I got things straightened out the workers culled thousands of drone pupae.

I would give that colony a close inspection on brood pattern and condition, proper ratio of eggs to larvae to capped. Check for drones laid in worker cells, adequate nectar and pollen stores.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a colony whose queen became a drone layer; after I got things straightened out the workers culled thousands of drone pupae.

I would give that colony a close inspection on brood pattern and condition, proper ratio of eggs to larvae to capped. Check for drones laid in worker cells, adequate nectar and pollen stores.
Had a Cordovan hive build huge early in the Spring, Queen was out to set a record I'm convinced.

Had a late spring cold front come in with 3-4 days of solid cold and rain, no flight weather start of dandelion bloom. Went out 3rd day of rain and it looked like every bee from that hive was dead outside, ended up being almost all drones, bet there was more than 500, maybe a 1000. 4th day I was able to open the hive, bees where lethargic, to very still, never seen this before (thought they where dead actually). Checked both bb deeps and one med super, not a drop of stores.

My assumption was they had used all they had and about a 2lb sugar block those days with all the new bees and 1st thing to conserve/survive was kicking out/ not feeding drones. I immediately added more sugar and a patty and they where going gang busters the next day. She out punted my attention span I guess, so many new bees used much more stores than any 2 of my others hives combined, I should have known as I saw 2 full frames of early drones earlier (foundation-less here) I was hoping would be used for a few virgin queens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts